Comics Thread (Forever)

Bought the first volume of their Young Avengers series yesterday, came with a cool signed postcard thing (1/200 as well!)

Sweet!

I loved their Young Avengers run :+1:

Here’s some new vocabulary for you, this little postcard is called a “bookplate”. I found this out when the first hardcover of WicDiv went on sale and I pre-ordered it from Forbidden Planet “with signed bookplate” and I wondered what such an exotic sounding object was, and it showed up with one of these little things.

Young Avengers is excellent though, that’s when I became a really massive fan of their work together. Coming off the back of Phonogram 2 and Keiron’s assorted Thor-related work (btw if you haven’t read his Journey Into Mystery I’d recommend doing that before Young Avengers, there’s some big heavy catharsis to be had if you’ve followed Loki’s arc all the way up to it) I was really excited to see what they’d do. Then I was in rapture with every single issue when it was coming out. Jamie in particular really hit his stride in Young Avengers, and has continued on being one of the best in the business all through Phonogram 3 and now WicDiv.

Ah, thanks - had always seen that bandied around but wasn’t sure what it meant.

gosh comics are quite good for bookplates

just bought descender volume 5, like it when I forget something is coming out and then find it browsing a shop

Working my way through The Fix at the moment, absolutely excellent all round. Enjoyed Chew as well; definitely got a thing for cop comics I think.

Would recommend this in that case

Very dark and funny. Sadly he never finished the series but each issue is pretty standalone (and maybe one day he will)

Cheers! I’ll take a look! Artwork looks quite severe/bleak.

Loving that Humble Bundle deal from a few weeks back, finding some right gems in it!

Proper :heart: The Fix!

This tweet from the artist is perfect:

Bwahahahahaha! :smiley: excellent stuff. Donovan’s introduction was so, so…odd. See also: Josh. WTF.

Can we talk comics at the next Fenino as well please

Went to see my mum today - surprisingly Bedford has a pretty good comic shop that has a decent pre-owned section. It’s mostly older Marvel stuff, but last time I was there I got the Phonogram Singles Collection (£8, as new), and today I got Jonathan Hickman’s Pax Romana (good quality, £5).

Read a bit of the latter on the train home and it is something else. The Vatican discovers time travel and decides to go back in time to alter history. But it’s like all the Hickmanesque elements I love turned up to max - super dense text, minimalist and really stylistic artwork, intricate plotting. Can’t wait to get more stuck into it.

I’m hearing Marvel stuff is going crazy cheap on comixology at the minute. This is as much as I know, all of my comics are made of paper, but go ye forth and gain bargains.

This is true, I’ve just bought 25 graphic novels (inc. chunky epic collections) for £17!

What did you get?

I’m intrigued, 69p is crazy crazy cheap, but there’s so much and I dunno where to start and a lot of them are random volumes from longer series…

I got:
X-Men: Epic Collection Mutant Genesis
New Mutants Epic Collection: Curse Of The Valkyries
Excalibur Epic Collection: The Cross-Time Caper
Thor Epic Collection: The Wrath Of Odin
Iron Man Epic Collection: Doom
Daredevil Epic Collection: Mike Murdock Must Die!
Daredevil Epic Collection: Heart of Darkness
Incredible Hulk Epic Collection: The Hulk Must Die
Incredible Hulk Epic Collection: Fall of the Pantheon
Doctor Strange Epic Collection: Afterlife
Punisher Epic Collection: Capital Punishment
X-Men Hidden Years Vol 1
X-Men Hidden Years Vol 2
New Mutants: Back To School - The Complete Collection
X-Men: Age of Apocalypse - Termination
Jubilee by Robert Kirkman
Avengers: West Coast Avengers - Sins of the Past
Avengers: Avengers West Coast - Zodiac Attack
Avengers West Coast: Along Came a Spider-Woman
Avengers: Hawkeye - Earth’s Mightiest Marksman
Mystery Men: The Golden Age
Ka-Zar Masterworks Vol. 1
Ka-Zar by Mark Waid and Andy Kubert Vol. 1
Ka-Zar by Mark Waid and Andy Kubert Vol. 2
Inhumans: Beware The Inhumans

Basically all the epic collections in the sale and a bunch of random stuff that took my fancy, tbh some of it I wouldn’t have got when more expensive but that’s the fun of these kind of sales.
Was tempted by some of the golden age stuff but it’s really only a novelty. Don’t know when I’ll get round to reading most of it as got vast amounts of other stuff to go anyway but it’s nice to have!

Thank you! £21.39 on 31 items, hilarious. Mostly stuff from the 60s/70s

Captain America Masterworks Vol. 6
Captain America Masterworks Vol. 7
Captain Marvel Masterworks Vol. 1
Captain Marvel Masterworks Vol. 2
Captain Marvel Masterworks Vol. 3
Captain Marvel Masterworks Vol. 4
Captain Marvel Masterworks Vol. 5
Daredevil Epic Collection: Heart of Darkness
Daredevil Epic Collection: Mike Murdock Must Die!
Fantastic Four Masterworks Vol. 19
Incredible Hulk Epic Collection: Fall of the Pantheon
Incredible Hulk Epic Collection: The Hulk Must Die
Incredible Hulk Masterworks Vol. 11
Iron Man Epic Collection: Doom
Iron Man Masterworks Vol. 4
Iron Man Masterworks Vol. 5
Iron Man Masterworks Vol. 6
Iron Man Masterworks Vol. 7
Iron Man Masterworks Vol. 8
Iron Man Masterworks Vol. 9
Luke Cage, Power Man Masterworks Vol. 2
Marvel Team-Up Masterworks Vol. 1
Marvel Team-Up Masterworks Vol. 2
Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Masterworks Vol. 1
Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Masterworks Vol. 2
Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Masterworks Vol. 3
Punisher Epic Collection: Capital Punishment
Thor Epic Collection: The Wrath Of Odin
Thor Masterworks Vol. 16
Warlock Masterworks Vol. 2
Wolverine/Nick Fury: Scorpio Connection (1989) #1

Whoops!

That’s a good haul. Was tempted by those masterworks but decided not to get tooo carried away.

I’m spending a lot of time on the east coast mainline right now. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.