Comics Thread (Forever)

Gonna try and post more about comic books I’ve read.

Enjoyed this. A story about a young woman who vows to find her lost explorer fiance. Short (for the money), but easy to read in one sitting and the art is lovely.

Found most of Jonathan Hickman’s FF discounted in a local shop. Will it make sense if I’ve not read any of his Fantastic Four?

I’ve read the entire run beginning to end and it just about made sense. Hickman has BIG ideas, but it just sprawled with no satisfying ending. I would have liked some self contained stories. Nor were the big ideas developed before Hickman got bored and moved onto the next big idea. I did enjoyed the Council of Reeds.

Grant Morrison has big ideas, but he writes compelling stories with a beginning, middle and end. I’m enjoying his take on Green Lantern - Hal Jordan as Dredd, the corps as fellow judges and the Guardians as chief justices.

3 Likes

Anyone reading DIE? (Gillen’s new comic)

It’s properly amazing. Think you probs have to have some knowledge or interest in fantasy and or RPGs to enjoy it, but maybe not.

Issue 3 was this week and it was great. Big feels.

2 Likes

I didn’t pick them up in the end - not least as I found that Marvel have started publishing omnibus editions of his entire Fantastic Four run, which I may just pick up instead.

But I know that feeling. Its deleted now but gave an update on his various delayed projects on Twitter a while ago. Says a lot that he had to do that anyway, but more that the Manhattan Projects was completely missing :angry:

1 Like

I believe Hickman has no idea how to continue or complete Manhattan Projects. My solution? Give it to Kieron Gillen. @sadpunk - had no idea Gillen was doing DIE. Will check it out, cheers.

2 Likes

London Comic Mart tomorrow, Feb 17.

You can pay early bird entry fee or it’s free after noon.

http://www.londoncomicmart.co.uk/index.php/10-news/214-2019-dates-announced

Can recommend issues rather than waiting for trades if you’re interested in him and his process - the essays he’s adding at the end of each issue are fascinating.

1 Like

I read issue 1 of DIE and loved it, but then issue 2 had sold out by the time I got down to the shop, only a day after it came out. Got it on a standing order to avoid that in future, but I’m still waiting for a copy of issue 2 to come in on back order before I can read 3. Hard times.

Also, comics thread readers, please admire my pride and joy; my collection of trades now shelved and together for the first time ever. Went down IKEA the other weekend and bought a pair of Billys, then subsequently had to make a few trips to and from my parents’ house to pick up the stuff stored there, which is most of the comics you now see.

I like to just stand there looking at them and feeling good.

13 Likes

Northlanders was good, wasn’t it?

Did a similar thing a few years ago. Reread most of Y: The Last Man on a single Saturday, that was a great day.

2 Likes

I’m re-reading Watchmen for the first time in a few years and fuck me, it never gets old. So obvious to say but it is absolutely staggering in terms of scope and execution.

6 Likes

Errrrrrr

Great comment from the author at the end tbf

3 Likes

Read Days of Hate over the past two days and loved it.

A couple, separated through rough circumstances end up on opposite sides of America’s right/left schism in 2022.

Not normally a fan of Ales Kot but this is great. The art by Danijel Žeželj is amazing (a step up from his work on the brilliant Starve)

1 Like

Ooh, I picked up both trades of Starve recently, I really like his artwork on it.

Been meaning to check this out anyway. I really enjoyed about three quarters of Zero, and Ales Klot is super nice, they’ll pop up on the image reddit every so often and answer any questions about their work in really interesting and often frank ways.

read Material V1 the other week and thought it had potential to be really interesting and good but ended up being pretty dull.
this looks better tho

Not been on reddit but he comes across really well on twitter.

Did you enjoy Starve? I wasn’t sure of it at first, but found myself enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

Yeah, this is loads better than Material (which I didn’t finish)

I’ve not finished it yet but similar. I think Brian Wood is generally really good at fleshing out and sucking you into these dystopian hellscapes he creates.