Comics Thread (Forever)

Heyyyyyyy.

I love The Manhattan Projects (@plasticniki @sadpunk) - it’s completely bonkers in a very entertaining way. However it’s been suffering from an awful publishing schedule the last few years - there have been four new issues (and one trade collecting them) since November 2014, and there’s nothing further seemingly on the way.

Has anyone else found the price of physical trades has shot up since the Brexit vote? Image stuff in my local FP has gone up from £11 a book to £14 :frowning:

Fucking Brexit.

Currently new stuff I’m loving: Briggs Land, Kill or Be Killed and Eclipse

Also highly recommend this, it’s a great little story and raises money for a good cause:

just finished reading all of y the last man, which I really enjoyed, although I appreciate it’s pretty old now
will have a look at some of these mentioned, ta

Any Tom King fans around? Finished The Vision and Sheriff of Babylon, both outstanding in their own different ways. I was picking them up as they were released, but they both read much better as a completed work.

Those are both on my list to get to eventually. It’s a long list :frowning:

(fucking brexit)

1 Like

They’ve made it into a film haven’t they - I think Woody Harrelson is Wilson.

Treasure Island Part 3 by Connor Willumsen is like nothing else I’ve seen.

:heart: Paper Girls. So good.

3 Likes

One of my very favourite things. I rescued all my trades from my mum’s house earlier in the year, ended up binging through the last 5 or 6 volumes in one sitting on a Saturday morning, the story just picks up such velocity it was impossible to put down.

Also, the little single-issue side stories featuring the secondary characters are just wonderful. They add so much to the world it creates.

Gonna try and pick up Green Valley later today. That’d take my pull list up to five though, erp.

Comixology are having massive sales on Marvel and Image stuff right now

Marvel stuff is here - these are discounted upfront

and Image is here - here you have to put a code in

3 Likes

Anyone reading DC’s The Flintstones? It’s absolutely fantastic, they’re really nailing the subversive social commentary. Some of the funniest stuff I’ve read in ages.

I read this recently too - so, so good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello comics people!

Here are two collaborative projects worthy of your money:

Coelifer Atlas
Great story about mental illness, all proceeds go to OCD Action

Love is Love
Loads of short stories and bits of prose from loads of great writers and artists, all proceeds go to the families of victims and survivors of the Orlando shooting.

1 Like

Ordered ‘Love is Love’ a few days ago, it looks great

1 Like

I’m reading The Flintstones. And, yes, it is good. Much better than it should be. Not only funny and subversive, but touching with heart.

Greg Burgas, top comics blogger, has an excellent overview on why it’s brilliant. He also loves the Wacky Races mini-series.

1 Like

FAO monthly singles wankers: Jason Aaron fucking owned this week didn’t he? The Mighty Thor and Southern Bastards were both amazing, and those are two comics that you can rely on to be great every single time, but this week they were both even better than usual.

Brexit has screwed me on comic buying, it’s so expensive now compared to how it was before. I’ve pretty much entirely abandoned buying Marvel. Their monthlies are too expensive to consider now, the trades are easily the worst quality on the market, by a long way. Their OHCs and omnibuses are still pretty decent, but the price hike has obviously hit the big ticket collections more, and all the other publishers are putting out a better product for better prices. At the moment I’m still following Thor, Daredevil and Hellcat in monthlies, just because I want to see out those runs, but I’m not picking up anything new. My plan was to switch to Marvel Unlimited, because it’s cheap and I do want to read the comics they’re making, but I haven’t so far because there’s just so much competition for my attention. I would’ve liked to follow the new Kate Bishop Hawkeye series for ages, I’ve wanted her to get her own solo series pretty much since the beginning of the first Young Avengers series, but I can’t justify picking up a new series at that price point.

Today I ordered Sweet Tooth deluxe OHC vol 3, Scapled deluxe OHC vol 1, and Northlanders vol 2 (the new double sized paperback one). £40 for the three which I think is a really decent price. There are still bargains out there but you have to look a bit harder for them.

Yeah, Jason Aaron is brilliant! Scalped is probably my favourite series of all time and his Star Wars is better than it has any right to be. You’re right about Thor and Southern Bastards were both amazing this week, as per usual. Are you reading The Unworthy Thor? As much as spin-offs bug me, this has been very good so far.

Thor and Star Wars are the only Marvel I’m reading at the moment. I’m tempted to get The Visions trades and most likely get the next Hawkeye in trade. Image and Boom! get most of my money and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

That’s cool. I’ve missed him since they all got booted off CBR,

Oi, comics wankers, the new Humble Books bundle is a bunch of Image comics. There’s not that much overlap with the Image bundle they did a couple of years ago, either.

2 Likes