Comics Thread (Forever)

I have one of these that I bought off him at a convention, I forget exactly which number it was but it was a random one in the middle of the series and I read it fine without having read any of the others. Unsure if there’s an overall continuity you need to know about.

1 Like

Any books similar to 1001 films to watch before you die but for graphic novels?

I want to explore the medium but I’ve no idea where to start

Finished reading Sweet Tooth last night. I had some issues with how decompressed it felt, especially in the middle - for a 40 issue series there’s not actually a whole lot that happens - but I really felt Lemire landed the ending. I know flashforward final issues are a bit overdone in comics, but I thought it was really lovely stuff.

(Also - Bobby am is the best. There’s a random panel where he gets angry at being made to wear a hat that made me laugh so much)

Looking forward to checking out the new miniseries when it gets collected.

3 Likes

Never read the final volume, think I need to reread the whole thing as I’ve forgotten. Glad to hear the ending is good as that seems to be a weak spot of series of his I’ve otherwise enjoyed

Paul Gravett is your man. He wrote a 1001 book for comics. Published in 2013, so not too out of date. He’s written other books worth reading.

http://www.paulgravett.com (lists all 1001 comic runs/graphic novels)

1 Like

Amazing. Thanks so much!

1 Like

this is a really excellent list as well

5 Likes

looks like there is a new mutants and excalibur volume 2 omnibuses coming out later this year, definitely picked a good time to get into omnibus

2 Likes

Woo, Omar! He’s good peoples, I know him through the Omnibus Collector’s group on FB. So many of the folks there have their fingers on the pulse these days. New Mutants vol 2 is a definite grab.

2 Likes

Seems like a good egg, like how he always takes care to pronounce peoples names correctly

1 Like

started reading the second uncanny x-men omnibus after a bit of a break. getting to the end of the Dark Phoenix saga. Kind of weird how such a famous story line is actually kind of understated, just a slow burning thing in the background for 5 years before coming to such a big climax in a couple of issues, even the final lead up with the hellfire club is relatively low key. I remember reading it as a standalone tpb when I was younger, and it felt quite underwhelming, I guess because it was shorn of that slow build, really good reading it as part of the bigger story. Also getting a big buffy/angel vibe, can see its influence

I found omar in lockdown and have watched loads of his stuff, like a couple of hours every week. Sadly it’s the closest thing to having a mate to chat shit about comics with for the past year. Love how enthusiastic and knowledgeable he is. Really love how inclusive he is in a community that can often stray into being a home for very toxic people. Like he finds a diverse bunch of people to stream with or have as guests on his shows in a way that’s very different to the dudebro channels that do similar stuff to him. I also find that Maddie from the same channel as Omar has brilliant taste in manga and graphic novels/indie comics and has turned me on to a lot of good stuff, although she doesn’t really upload anywhere near as frequently as Omar.

2 Likes

Having a tidy and clear out and I might ebay these.

1 Like

Would recommend Facebook rather than eBay, sold a lot of stuff over the past year and found FB groups much better than eBay for a lot of reasons.

I din’t know where to post this but I laughed a lot.

5 Likes

Deffo cross post this to the alt-right dickbags thread as well :smiley:

1 Like

Loving imagining his little Kermit the frog voice indignantly going “what the hell!?”

I love how he immediately saw himself in it as well, there’s really nothing that directly calls it to him, the literal Bible has 10 rules for life in it, he doesn’t have a monopoly on that. It’s looks like a wide net cartoon of all YouTube Nazis and he’s looked at it and gone “hey! That Nazi is saying the things I say!”, grassed on himself, lovely.

1 Like

Got my comic shelves all put together and stacked in the new house :grinning:

11 Likes

Nice!

are they some of the old dark horse star wars omnibus on the second bookshelf? i’m kicking myself for not getting these before they became scarce, really want the two tales of the jedi ones, go for quite a lot nowadays, think marvel will do them as epic collections eventually but might have to wait awhile