Comics Thread (Forever)

Can’t believe I’m in the [shudders]* comics thread, but this seems to be the only place that Paper Girls is being discussed. I loved it - smashed through the lot in three evenings. Thought all of the main cast were great and loved the coming of age stuff. Also enjoyed the tonal shifts throughout. Almost makes up for season 2 of Yellowjackets being pushed back to 2023 :sob:

*^banter - I enjoy comics but have just never posted in this thread before tbh tbf…

3 Likes

I love Chip Zdarsky

1 Like

Have you read the issue of Crossover he wrote? :smiley:

1 Like

I have! Delightful stuff.

1 Like

Did the monthly scouting at Gosh! and picked up the entire variant Dreamscape run of Providence.

I’m ecstatic. Already have the original 1st run and the Weird Pulp variant set too.

Will put up pics shortly :smiley:

1 Like

Favour time for any superhero fans! Taking my sons into town to look at the comic shops which is exciting…

Any one got any particular superhero recommendations for a first timer/eight year old? We’re working through MCU and have just done Winter Soldier (but it doesn’t need to be MCU related) Needs to be relatively easy (bought him the last airbender for xmas and think that’s a bit too much). Think Thor is up there as a favourite character but anything really! I’m a bit out of touch with superheroes - think the last run i brought was xmen related 20 years ago!!

Sorry if i can’t reply as will be out but will check in! Thanks :slight_smile:

Is it that fancy London town? If so, go to Gosh! in Berwick St. The staff are very helpful and the shop supplies graphic novels to libraries - so they know what’s suitable for all ages.

3 Likes

Wynd by James Tynion IV is lovely but with a bit of darkness running through it.

Seven Secrets by Tom Taylor is a lot of fun as well.

1 Like

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl! It’s funny and has action but isn’t violent and full of great characters (and based on the letters pages, kids absolutely loved it).

I’ve not read as much of it but Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur might also be a good shout. She’s the smartest person alive! Her best pal is a big dinosaur! What’s not to love?

There’s actually a good line of Marvel digest volumes, slightly smaller than the standard trades but collecting more issues, that seem pretty solidly aimed at the sorta under 12 market. Pretty sure both of the above are in that line, alongside Ms Marvel and Miles Morales: Spider-Man and some other stuff.

5 Likes

If you DO go to Gosh there are a lot of ace graphic novels that are in the art/story style of Tintin (but not actually tintin)

It might be that your kid wants superhero specifically but if there’s wiggle room, have a look at those (you’ll see them in the window, such is the very distinctive art)

2 Likes

The first Runaways book is very good as well.

3 Likes

Unfortunately not. In Birmingham so more standard fare. Forbidden planet, nostalgia comics, manga shop, another general nerd shop (and finally a record shop for daddy!) Just on the bus now so very exciting!

Thanks all for the replies, some interesting sounding stuff I didn’t know. I will let you know how we get on

2 Likes

Thought about this but remember it potentially featuring ritual sacrifice? Or am I misremembering

The whole world was to be sacrificed. There’s nothing as dark as the Brubaker WS run.

1 Like

forbidden planet is a goldmine for this kind of stuff tbf - takes a while to find the staff member who knows the right things, but someone there will absolutely see you right

2 Likes

I just had a scan of my Marvel/DC graphic novels and I was surprised how little I would give to a young kid to read. It’s either too boring or not age appropriate. Jean Grey dressed as a dominatrix. Karen Page sells Daredevil’s identity for drugs money. Everything written by Garth Ennis.

This is what I was left with

DC : The New Frontier (Darwyn Cooke) - it’s an origin story for DC’s Silver Age. When all the heroes got together. It’s epic.

Avengers Ultron Unlimited (Kurt Busiek George Perez) - Avengers vs All The Ultrons. Also epic.

This is gold but might be boring for a young 'un. But it does have an island full of dinosaurs.

1 Like

Honestly has really just struck me that a collected book of the first spider man stories is probably as thrilling and wonderful for an 8 year old as anything else

1 Like

Ultimate Spider-man is great too.

1 Like

There is a lovely hardcover Penguin reissue of those knocking around at the moment. Incredible storytelling, that plus the Night Gwen Stacy Died are probably all the Spider-man anyone needs.

1 Like