Comics Thread (Forever)

This is fucking excellent.

I’m not sure any comic book artist has ever made me want to cry as much as Jeff Lemire

just popped into my local and left £26.91 poorer…

Read the first three volumes of Paper Girls this month and really enjoyed it. Agree on the comments above that the pace is a bit ridiculous, introducing something new on every page, but it doesn’t bother me that much.

Above post inspired me to order first volume of DMZ, looking forward to it.

Just read the third volume last night and it was by far my favourite of the three. Felt like the characters were being nicely fleshed out but that Vaughan was also still adding little bits of intrigue to keep the story flowing. Bloody love the colouring and the artwork too - just stunning!

Also recently read the first volume of Vision which was a bit darker than I was expecting. Quite enjoy the whole ‘Super Hero family try to be normal’ thing though.

Found this panel in the most recent Transformers: Lost Light v relatable

So fucking good

Vision hardcover gets delivered to me tomorrow (finally). Gonna take the weekend to see what all the fuss is about.

I read the first volume of Vision but didn’t love it. It felt like it was all narration, leaving the art to do nothing but look good under the words.
Horses for courses, I guess. It had amazing reviews and most people seem to really like it.

Whilst to some extent I do kinda agree that the novel largely revolved around its narration; I also felt that the art (whilst nothing too special) complimented and added to the general pathos that the words were evoking?

Just picked up Volume 2 so quite excited to report back on that shortly.

Went to the London comic mart for the first time in ages. Picked up loads of graphic novels for £3. Overdid it with the Master of Kung Fu stuff, but they were half price. Can’t resist a bargain.

Nice buying there! I’ve never read any of Walt Simonson’s DC work, but the Orion series seems like it’ll be the place for me to dig in after I finish off the Kirby’s Fourth World omnibus. You’ll have to report back here on that one.

Is this all stuff new to you or old favorites? Or a mix of both?

The Ultimates is so, so good!

Thanks. I do love Walt Simonson’s work and may make him my next “collecting project” after I bankrupt myself completing Master of Kung Fu. I’m expecting Simonson’s Orion to be better than Jack Kirby’s. I’ve tried reading Kirby’s solo work and I find the dialogue and prose hard work. Can’t fault the imagination, innovation and the dynamic art. How are you getting on with the Fourth World saga? Should I give it second chance?

Manhunter by Archie Goodwin and Simonson is a classic which I’ve yet to read. As for Thor, everybody should read his recent work for IDW - Ragnarok. It’s zombie Thor in a post-apocalyptic world.

The stuff I bought is a mixture of new to me and old faves. I’ve heard good things about the Ultimates and Grant Morrison’s X-Men, so thought it would be nice to have them. I had the original Claremont/Byrne X-Men comics but I sold them to buy new comics. I had an addiction to feed!

As I understand it, this is Marvel’s take on widescreen comics after seeing what Wildstorm were doing with The Authority. Greg Burgas rates it highly and that’s good enough for me.

Essex County is heartbreaking

Reading the Fourth World is a big task for anybody, so if you’re not very very into Kirby it might not be for you. I mean you’ve hit the neail on the head really, the words aren’t great, but the pictures are the best you’re going to find. I can happily ignore the dialogue a lot of the time and just read it through the art; I only skimmed Stan’s text when reading their FF and that worked out well enough for me. It’s so dense that you can only really read it in small chunks, I’m very early on right now, so it might get a bit more trying once more complex plot elements come into play. But ultimately I’m sure this is going to be a massively rewarding read, every page is an utter joy to look at, and the whole big slab of it all in one volume is a pretty amazing thing just to own if nothing else.

I’ve had my eye on Simonson’s Ragnarok for a while now. There’s loads of stuff coming out that I want to buy, so I’ve kind of let it sit for a while, I’m intending to blitz the whole thing once it wraps up.

Grant Morrison’s X-Men is probably my favourite iteration of them outside of Claremont. He introduces loads of amazing concepts which could’ve pushed the series forwards and pushed it in a really interesting direction. Unfortunately Marvel abandoned pretty much all of them, and the line has felt like it’s been treading water pretty much ever since. It’s no coincidence that the two best X runs in recent years; Jason Arron’s Wolverine & The X-Men and Rick Remender’s Uncanny X-Force, both wore heavy Morrison inspiration on their sleeves.

Essex County was my desert island comic until Roughneck came out and made me reassess. If you’ve not read it, it fits very neatly in the Essex County vein of his work, but comes from Lemire at a point where he’s kicked it up a gear with the visuals. Much less wordy, the art speaks for itself a lot more, and does the majority of the heavy lifting for a lot of the themes. It also much more subtle than the Essex County stuff, and benefits from being quite a bit longer than any of the chapters there. I’d put it right up there with Asterios Polyp in terms of absolute masterpiece GNs.

I will have to give this a whirl then, thanks for the tip. Just had a skim through EC and I’m nearly dying again. :sob: Very special bit of work.

Love comics with “feels”, recently reread some of Daniel Clowes’ stuff and it’s amazing how you can go from grinning to devastated in the space of a panel or two.

Roughneck is brutal with the feels, but not quite as brutal as Ghost Stories from Essex County. I’ve only ever cried at a comic twice, the big splash page where the fella’s cradling his dying brother on the kitchen floor, and apparition of their hockey team turns up all banging their sticks to call his soul away, turned me into an absolute blubbering mess.

The other one was I Kill Giants. I was on a public train and it got pretty embarrassing. Next time I went in the comic shop after buying it the guy’s immediate question was “did you read it yet? Did you cry?”. I was at a panel with Kieron Gillen once, he addressed the audience “Who here has read I Kill Giants?” a bunch of hands go up “and who cried?” every hand remains in the air.