Commonly used phrases that don’t really make sense

People will sometimes say that they “Slept like a baby” to indicate they had a good nights sleep.

Surely it would be more accurate if it meant they woke up screaming in the middle of the night after pissing themselves.

Any others?

6 Likes

i dont think its that. i dont think anyone wants to see the back end of the bus as it means youve missed it. also the back end of a bus used to be filthy from the exhaust etc

4 Likes

Head over heels in love. It’s meant to imply craziness, whereas for most people their head is over their heels at most times.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I’m changing it to heels near your head in lust

Apparently it started out as heels over head in the 1300s and then switched over some time in the 1700s. Time to switch it back I reckon, go back to that medieval shit

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oops

No oops. solidarity!

I always thought it was a fatphobic thing

5 Likes

“I’m feeling right as rain!” - what the hell does that mean? Particularly when you’ve previously been “feeling under the weather”.

2 Likes

‘All downhill from here’ is often used to imply things are getting worse. But going downhill is better than going uphill isn’t it. Although, I think this saying is used in two completely opposite contexts.

5 Likes

Backs of buses are just ugly.

1 Like
“It’s all downhill from here”.
  • I’m glad
  • That’s a bad thing

0 voters

Yes! Nonsence this phrase is!

This makes sense when used correctly but it rarely is

1 Like

Sub par means bad except in golf where it’s good

1 Like

There’s a danger of this thread descending into the letters page of the Daily Express - “The other day I exclaimed to my 5 year old grandson that I was feeling as ‘happy as Larry’ and he responded with ‘who the fuck is Larry?’” etc.

Yeah, this is a really good example. Completely opposite meanings depending on the context

7 Likes

Not in the case of our baby. She just slept like a log.

Of course. She went to bed fairly late and was up at like 5am.