Companies that have a monopoly/racket on very specific products

On very rare occasions you’ll still see shops in London that have 0181 advertised as the area code outside (I guess 0171 as well but imagine most Inner London shops have got that shit locked down by now). It’s a real treat.

1 Like

Findus- crispy pancakes

3 Likes

Disagree with this very strongly indeed. However I then remember that the Flying V is made by Gibson and that automatically makes me more sympathetic to your point.

1 Like

Remember reading somewhere that they’re both weirdly made by the same company. The brown sauce equivalent of if Coke and Pepsi were made in the same factory!

I worked with a descendant of the Chubb family and he told us that apparently chubb locks weren’t anything particularly special, so they paid some prisoners to do a stunt where they couldn’t pull off an prison break due to the locks all being Chubb ones. And that’s what made them so popular. Good PR, people. That’s all it takes!

2 Likes

@juke has a monopoly on threads about telly programmes

6 Likes

the cartels - drugs

1 Like

Branstons till I die

Is just nicer in every way, was a late convert so have that fundamentalist zeal about it now

1 Like

They are good though still happy to go back to Heinz

1 Like

how did the chubbs get into firewater?

To get to the other side?

1 Like

oops i should have put this in the serious thread

Dunlop - Squash balls
Pearson’s - Brass hand oil

2 Likes

YKK - zips

(If you have a zip nearby, there’s a very very good chance it’s stamped with YKK)

3 Likes

Ghostbusters - busting ghosts in New York

1 Like

I like to call it Whisky Delta 40

National Grid
Scottish and Southern Energy Networks
Scottish Power Energy Networks
Western Power Distribution
UK Power Networks

etc

Dolmio - days of the week

2 Likes