Completely incongruous support acts

I was pleased to see that the Stroppies (Australian dole wave band) have a new album coming in May along with UK dates. I looked at the list of gigs and thought those look like big venues. For some bizarre reason they’re supporting Paul Weller. I don’t know how their Flying Nun style jangle pop will go down with lads with Mod haircuts.
Has anyone got other examples of incongruous support acts? I remember going to see the gay industrial band My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult supporting EMF. The EMF fans were bemused but there was a small group of leather men enjoying the Thrill Kill Kult.

3 Likes

I saw a goth/ nu metal band supprting The Fall at The Sage in Gateshead.

2 Likes

Antipop Consortium supporting Radiohead in Belfast in 2002 or so did not go down well. I fucking loved it though!

8 Likes

Sw some weird confrontational acoustic electro poet guy supporting Beirut in Edinburgh back in … 2010ish. Got into a literal staring contest with a group of audience LADS, not the vibe you want before some uplifting Francophile brass pop during the festival

4 Likes

@Witches can confirm

1 Like

Last time I went to see Blanck Mass the only support was a drag act. They were on for an hour

4 Likes

@OtherwiseOutcomes

I saw EMF and MLWTTKK on that tour! it was at the Birmingham hummingbird and was my first ever gig. Yeah the crowd went mild for Thrill Kill… but I quite enjoyed them. I’ve never bothered to listen to any of their records though.

EMF were well into that era of industrial music. They were sampling ministry and getting the likes of Jim foetus to remix their singles so that probably explains the choice of support act.

2 Likes

Smithdom of a Down?

Sorry

2 Likes

Gay For Johnny Depp supporting Errors and 65daysofstatic was an odd mix

11 Likes

Makes sense, my only memory of the gig was that EMF played Unbelievable as their opening song which was a bold gambit.

1 Like

Richard Youngs! Have seen him a couple of times apart from that, always entertaining, but an extremely odd choice for Beirut.

2 Likes

Yeah I like his stuff when I listened to it back the day after, but live eesh … not the vibe

There was a back and forth conflict where he kept playing the same verse over and over right? I didn’t just make that up over the years haha

1 Like

Ooh I think that’s true, yes! It was extremely confrontational by the end for sure.

1 Like

Ithaca supporting Big Thief in 2020

Extremely incongruous (screamy metal vs indie folk), but went down really well! I think that says a lot about the openness of Big Thief’s fanbase. They had a really tough time with sound and equipment issues, but the crowd were really lovely and supportive! Excellent stuff.

14 Likes

Sigur Ros & Coil at the RFH. About half the venue emptied out during Coil’s set.

4 Likes

Asian Dub Foundation supporting Radiohead was an odd one. Fucking good night though.

3 Likes

Earls Court? That show was incredible, one of the best gigs I’ve ever been too.

There was some advert I saw maybe pre pando of Confidence Man supporting Noel Gallagher. Bizarre

Came in to post that for 65dos. One of the worst things I’ve ever experienced.

1 Like

That’s… Quite a stage name