Concert films and documentaries

This might have been covered before but a quick search didn’t turn anything up. My family have a Friday night routine in 2021 where we’ll watch something musical - a concert DVD, a documentary on Netflix, whatever (eg. last week was The Last Waltz, tomorrow is One More Time With Feeling).

To keep the ball rolling I want some really good live concerts or music documentaries for visual consumption. Ideally streamable, but any suggestions welcome.

Ta.

1 Like

Stop Making Sense is the benchmark I always feel

3 Likes

Don’t Look Back

Everything else is a mere footnote.

1 Like

Some kind of monster
Dig

2 Likes

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

3 Likes
10 Likes

Supersonic was annoyingly passable.

The Blur one was much better. Is it called No Distance Left To Run?

1 Like

Sign O’ the Times

3 Likes

It’s a mix of band history, little skits, and concert footage, but The Smashing Pumpkins’ Vieuphoria is one of my few favorite things in this world. Incredible live material, and you really get a sense of their personalities / dynamic with each other.

Edit: It’s missing some parts, but a lot of it is on Youtube.

3 Likes

Might be tricky to get hold of but I love ‘Lawrence Of Belgravia’.

‘Flawed Is Beautiful’ is surprisingly great. Think that’s on Prime too.

1 Like

Two that I watched recently on iplayer and would recommend were ‘Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan’ and ‘Love & Mercy’

1 Like

It’s been years since I’ve seen it, but I remember the Wilco documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart being great. Can’t seem to find it for free online right now, but it looks as if you can rent it on Vimeo at least.

6 Likes
3 Likes

About Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and The Julie Ruin).

11 Likes

Remember seeing this in a nice festival venue and being really into it. Looks like it’s also got good reviews so should hold up!

https://www.nickcave.com/films/20000-days-on-earth-2/

6 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Flight 666 is really good. My non-Maiden fan friends rated it too, unless they were just humouring me.

Shut up and play the hits feels a bit hollow now but the concert itself is incredible.

Big thumbs up for @thedestroyer’s recommendations of Dig (maybe my favourite) and Some Kind of Monster.

Also thumbs up for @whiterussian’s rec for 20,000 Days On Earth. Was at the concert they filmed for that!

2 Likes

Yeah. I saw that at when it came out.

I’m a lapsed Nick Cave fan. Heavily into his stuff in the mid-90s to early 2000s and saw him five or six times, got my Boatman’s Call signed by him its release but and then just lost interest and now Let Love In, Henry’s Dream and Live Seeds are the only albums I tend to revisit.

As a lapsed fan I wasn’t too interested in seeing the film but did so as I had an afternoon free. Really enjoyed the film. A very well put together film in a slightly leftfield style.

3 Likes

The Tom Petty documentary Running Down a Dream is really good. Very long, but very engaging.

If you want a semi-surreal musical journey into the American Gothic accompanied by Jim White, Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus is extraordinary. Like a musical, non-violent version of the first series of True Detective.

Second also Dig and Some Kind of Monster.

3 Likes