Conor Oberst / Bright Eyes (rolling thread)

Yeah, weirdly Laura Laurent was on my mind yesterday morning and I hadn’t listened to it for years.

2 Likes

The way the outro of that sequels into Let’s Not Shit Ourselves is just :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

20th anniversary of F&M next year :eyes:

4 Likes

did not need to hear that :eyes:

4 Likes

Those indifferent clocks, eh

2 Likes

Is there any chance that the mods could change the title to Conor Oberst (rolling thread)? Please and ta :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good shout, just done this :+1:

1 Like

Cheers! Personally didn’t mind Salutations that much but would rather we weren’t reminded of it every time we discuss Conor…

Fevers and mirrors 2

4 Likes

Cant begrudge him not being an angsty teen forever. The EPs around then are the pinnacle for me. There is a pretty fine line between his recent stuff being good and being quite MOR. The guy’s made 30+ records though and I love like 10 of them. As meatloaf said, 1 out of 3 aint bad.

6 Likes

I think Mike Mogis was a big part on the sound of those Bright Eyes records. Without him he does lapse into Americana a bit too much (although I still like those records too).

2 Likes

Also reckon upside down mountain is one of his best records

1 Like

I’d say the angst and the musicality go hand in hand, it’s all so dramatic.

Midwestern gothic?

3 Likes

Often thought that Jejune Stars off The People Key reminded me a bit of Fevers and Mirrors. It has that frantic sound and tempo changes but lacks the drama of F&M. Good song though, really like the chorus to it.

5 Likes

Light Pollution is a good song

3 Likes

I’m going to grow my fringe longer in anticipation

1 Like

And there’s some pretty angsty shit on there so that’s saying something…

Winding down for good do you think or do you reckon there’s more to come from them in the future? They seemed to both really enjoy the collaboration and it’s my AOTY so far so I hope there’s more at some point (plus I haven’t been able to catch them live yet and am very keen to!)

Still one of my favourite songs of all time

2 Likes

Was thinking about this yesterday, absolutely brilliant. Look at the size of that band! Proper imperial phase stuff.

1 Like