Contactless payments

Had my card declined for making too many contactless payments in a row without any chip and pin transactions. Guess it makes sense from a security point of view, but I wasn’t aware of this policy at all. Anyone else had this?

My word this is a boring thread.

My card does not have contactless and therefore I have not had this situation you have described in the OP happen to me. Thank you

lucky escape, m8!

Just once. It was a gig day, so I’d bought food, a few drinks, tapped in and out of the tube. But when I went to pay for the parking of our designated driver after the gig, my card was refused. Cue blind panic! Bank had been trying to call me to let me know what was going on but, of course, I’m not going to answer my phone during a gig, so it was all very confusing. Didn’t know it was a thing until then.

got caught out by this a couple of months ago fyi

fyi guys the chip and pin transaction has to be in the UK. a foreign chip and pin transaction wont break your chain of consecutive contactless transactions.

just fyi

its funny haha cause you often have to press the machine with your card hahah contactless my foot!!

Yep - there’s a requirement that every one in so-many transactions requests a PIN.

consider mfi (me fully informed)

This has not happened to me as far as I’m aware.

My bank just like to periodically block my card when I try ordering shopping from Ocado (or any of their speciality stores) in the name of fraud prevention which is nice of them.

do you know how many? Or does it vary by bank?

not sure - I could find out if you wanted. I’ll go and ask Doug.

I’d be suspicious of anyone using ocado tbf

good ol’ contactless doug.

My doug is contactless
How does he smell?
Dunno - I can’t contact him

goodbye everybody

I’ve had this - but it’s not really declined as such, just get told you put my card in the machine and enter the PIN. Are you guys getting completely declined, cos that’s pretty rubbish?

got declined, and my bank didn’t try and contact (ha ha) me to tell me what was going on. Jerks.

I had to use the joint account in the pub! Very inconvenient.

Didn’t the pub person tell you to try chip n pin? Shoddy!

shambles all round

It might vary depending on which bank you’re with. I tried looking it up for my bank. It doesn’t say there’s a limit on how many times you can use contactless consecutively. Most bank websites don’t say either

However, Barclaycard, says: “For UK transactions there is no daily limit on contactless payments, however there is a limit of £30 per transaction and you need to have enough money in your account to cover the cost of your purchase.”

TSB says: “You can use it as many times a day as you want, but every now and then you may be asked to enter your PIN. This is to double-check that it’s you who’s in possession of your card.”

I’ve never actually had to make contact