Corbyn 2.0

No of course not, just that he’d support, even indirectly, the UK becoming rainy tax-haven fascism island is very short sighted so therefore I’m out.

I don’t think he does. Corbyn’s difficulty comes from the notion of the Labour Party being seen to either want to uphold or want to counter the referendum result. Making the wrong decision could damage the Labour Party for a generation. What would you do in his position?

I had hoped Mays speech would have given him enough wiggle room to go on a, “the British people didn’t vote for this” anti Hard Brexit line. Question the mandate to take us out of the single market etc. But I guess not. Disappointing.

2 Likes

Counter it of course. It’s the best for the country and labour supporters even if they don’t realise it. He should be getting out into these labour/brexit heartlands and preaching the truth of who/what is causing the (mainly economic) problems in these areas rather than labour going that they respect a vote based on lies and ‘legitimate concerns’ about ‘immigration’ (i.e. those polish blokes in the high street or the Muslim family across the road).

That’s not what the vote on triggering Article 50 is about though.

Very much this. I can’t see a scenario where Labour as a whole vote against and don’t make it impossible rather than very difficult to get back into power in the forseeable future. What I wouldn’t do if I was him is impose a three line whip though - allow individual MPs representing strongly remain constituencies to vote against and make very clear to the press that they’re fully entitled to do so.

The time for defeating the pro-brexit arguments/lies was before the referendum. It didn’t happen - opposing Brexit now isn’t a realistic or sensible approach (although making it as “soft” a Brexit as possible is).

It is about triggering Article 50. Not about the type of Brexit we have.

@owensmith to thread.

Yeah seems to me that he’s got it about right. I don’t think Labour can be seen to be voting against Article 50. The Lib Dems can fill their boots with it though.

I think he uses @elthamsmateowen as his username

1 Like

So not only do you want Corbyn to not enact the referendum result, you want him to tell everyone who voted for Brexit that they were wrong?

Single issue voters, many of whom regard brexit as their first political victory since 1997.

Very true, it should have been done before but even more now that the edifice has been ripped away and the bullshit and the consequences have been revealed.

The whole it’s a done deal we need to get on with it is ridiculous. If people thought they were getting cake but it’s actually made of razor blades then going ‘well they voted for it, lets all just eat it’ instead of going ‘this isn’t what we wanted, lets have a re-think’. Cos no one is going to be happy with the results apart from the 1% people thought they were protesting against.

Yes

Whenever we have our weekly debate over this I tend to start cursing David Cameron for not setting a bar higher than 50% of those who turnout. At least then if Leave had somehow managed to convince 60%of those turning out or 40% of the entire electorate then there’s less of an argument to be had.

It seems to me fundamentally odd that we keep having votes on making constitutional changes in this country on the say of 50%+1 of people that can be arsed.

2 Likes

Of course it’s about the type of Brexit we have. Now May’s shown her hand as to what kind of Brexit she’ll go for - and has indicated the only vote Parliament will get after this will be for whatever deal she gets or no deal at all - it’s absolutely about that. This is the only moment to argue that she’s overstepping what was voted on in the referendum where it’ll mean a damn. Waving it through at this point is an endorsement of those plans.

It’d probably take better leadership than we have to make that argument but it could be made IMO.

Fixed that for you :wink:

(But yes you’re right bants aside)

2 Likes

We’ve reached a curious moment, where I’m the one defending Corbyn where others are getting a bit mardy with him.

Just gonna sit back and breathe it in tbf.

4 Likes

:smiley: