Cornwall recommendations

When this whole thing calms down (in the NHS we’re already planning for a second wave, so who the fuck knows), we’re thinking of renting a cottage down in Cornwall for 4 or 5 days just to recharge our batteries. However, having never visited Cornwall, can someone who’s in the know recommend somewhere, please?

We’re looking for somewhere that isn’t too touristy, near to the sea/a harbour, beautiful countryside where we can go on nice walks or cycle. Just somewhere that’s sort of off the beaten track but has everything that Cornwall has to offer.

Danke.

Last time I went to Cornwall I went to the Roseland Peninsula, that might be the kind of thing you’re after.

3 Likes

Can have a nice day trip to Devon.

2 Likes

Head towards the Sennen, Porthcurno, Treen, Mousehole sort of areas. Beautiful beaches.

If you want more access to town life and pubs etc, then Falmouth is a good bet. Which is where I live, well, in the village neighbouring it.

Edit: the coastal walk from Lamorna/Treen which goes round to Porthcurno is amazing. And Pednvouder is such a great beach (quite hidden), albeit with some old nudie people on it

2 Likes

Stayed in a farm cottage about 5 miles from bude. That was a really nice area.

1 Like

I was going to say Fowey, which is lush in itself and close to Falmouth, St Mawes (really pretty, great ice cream).

Not that close actually, reviewing a map, but close enough, I get the Roseland coast and the Polperro/Lantic bit confused.

2 Likes

North Cornwall is the best imho but that’s probably the surfer in me talking. So somewhere up that way. Bude is a good base point. Got great walking, nice beaches (can walk for miles heading North, under the cliffs, just mind the tide), lovely surrounding villages (widemouth bay is a nice spot). Not too far from vineyards and stuff in the camel valley

3 Likes

Idk why but I’ve always been anti north Cornwall but it’s just baseless favouritism on my part for the south beaches

You wanna get yourself to Gweek Seal Santuary.

4 Likes

Been a few times to a place called St Minver, walking distance from Polzeath (surfing beach), Rock (and hence a short ferry to Padstow), from Padstow you can ride the Camel Trail to Bodmin, while St Minver can be a base to walk to Port Isaac (where they film Doc Martin) and even Tintagel.

1 Like

Yeah, North Cornwall’s beaches are way better than South Cornwall’s.

I don’t have a good answer to the question because I only know the towns by the sea that are touristy (Falmouth/Penryn, Perranporth, Newquay, St Agnes - really lovely).

1 Like

Wow! You guys have surpassed yourselves. So much food for thought. Thanks.

North Cornwall sounds the way to go, I think. The Camel Trail looks great!

We stayed at Pendeen lighthouse last year and it was so cool, right on the cliff/coast path so could do excellent walks and there is a car inaccessible beach just a ten minute walk from there so it’s always v quiet.

NT tin mines there very interesting if you like that sort of thing. Plus the minack is beautiful, if busy…

1 Like

I’m sure @anon19035908 can help

Surprised it took 14 posts for this to happen. Cornwall is very nice, it just happens to be full of Cornish people.

1 Like

Ftfy

2 Likes

I meant Cornwall, not the entire Westcountry.

I wouldn’t recommend going all the way to Bodmin. The camel valley vineyard is near the trail though.

Mevagissey’s lovely. Nice harbour, coastal walks (although you may want to give cycling a miss), you can get a boat to Fowey. Near to the Eden Project and walking distance to the Lost Gardens of Heligan.

1 Like

This sounds, and looking at the images, ideal.

Are there not many good cycle routes around that area though? Cycling is a big thing for us, so it’s a big consideration.