Coronavirus Positivity Thread! 💕

Seems pretty apt to share on the 5 year anniversary of me being single…

My ex arranged a weekly video call with me at the start of lockdown to make sure I was ok. I thought it would fizzle out pretty quickly, but it’s been the opposite! The calls have been getting longer over time and it feels like for the first time ever, we are truly friends and the sexual attraction is a distant second.

I was really worried in the first month that he was just doing it because he thought I was mental and it was secretly kind of a chore for him, but I noticed he had never finished a call even when it gets really late. When I mentioned it (still thinking he was just doing it in case I got upset or something), he said that although he sometimes gets tired, he’s never been so tired that it’s outweighed his enjoyment of chatting to me. He lives alone so probably appreciates the company for that alone, but he’s really not someone who would do this every week for hours without it being a positive experience, and it’s washed away a lot of my looooong standing neuroses and insecurities with him (and about myself by proxy) :slight_smile:

Last night’s call was 5 hours and was really funny but also interesting, we end up going on the weirdest tangents (reunification of Italy, haikus, penguins trading sex for stones, martial arts, the Marshall Islands flag :smiley: ). Really could have kept talking for hours but I was really tired by 1am. It’s taken a lot of time, maturing, therapy and misfires to get us here, and I don’t want to take this progress for granted when this is all over - or delude myself that we’ve always got on this well! - but he’s been a really great friend to me during lockdown, and our friendship going from something that could break at any moment to something that feels really solid and dependable has been an enormous positive of lockdown for me.

8 Likes

Zoom calls with friends have been an absolute godsend tbh, and weirdly brought a sort of new side to said friendships. Makes me realise back when I was really lonely and depressed in my early twenties, I probably should have called people up instead of deciding to be weird and not making contact with anyone

1 Like