Coronavirus Thread 4 #ssp

Not that I’d agree with it even if it was only positive tests.

I think it’s completely counter productive. It will disproportionately affect people already struggling. And there is a one hundred percent chance the police will abuse it.

It’s not though and the police will target the people that it effects the worse as they always do

2 Likes

I don’t know that the app itself is where the data would come from, unless it requests you send your data if you’re notified you need to isolate?

I can’t find any data for people who have tested positive, and these figures are from the end of September, before the fines came in, so caveats, obviously

Edit, screengrabs

Interesting thread on ‘long Covid’, which has implications for those advocating a targeted shielding strategy while opening up the rest of society.

2 Likes

They don’t.

The data being passed to police will be the manual records generated by the older manual track and trace system that relies on phoning people to tell them to self-isolate. It might seem counter intuitive to many because it’s always on, but the app is far less open to your data being used for nefarious uses than using the non-NHS QR code systems or a sign in sheet at a pub.

1 Like

idgi

a board first!

26 Likes

So the government are leaking that their chronic underfunding of the nhs is causing the standard full occupancy of icu beds at this time of year and are saying it’s due to corona to put pressure on Manchester

The press are reporting the leaks in good faith. It takes about 10 seconds to get last years occupancy

Not read the twitter thread obvs, but the research paper is a bit… bleak isn’t it? The thing that puzzles me on the basis of that research is it seems to be implying that a very large proportion of people who get this have noticeable medium-term symptoms. If that’s the case you’d think it would be getting more noticeable. Off the top of my head I think I only know one person who’s had it, badly although not hospitalised, pretty much right at the beginning of lockdown and she hasn’t mentioned anything lingering.

Although one thing about the paper puzzles me. I can’t see any data reported there on the distribution of time since infection to their inclusion in the study. If I’m reading it right they excluded people who still had an active respiratory illness and those who were discharged from hospital in the previous week, but they just jump in the discussion to talking about four months. Noticeably they don’t put p values on any of the assertions in the discussion. It’d be interesting to know how many of the 201 were four or more months down the line.

There’s what, a couple of hundred regular and semi regular posters on here? You would’ve thought that if it was this prevalent that there would at least be a couple of people with this experience?

1 Like

I know a couple of dozen people who’ve had it, and a couple of them still feel weak and like they have brain fog. One of them, who was hospitalised (mid-40s, diabetic) is still having to sleep/vomit for a couple of hours pretty much every day - he had it in early-March.

One of my friends has it and has been signed off work for the last 3 months: constantly exhausted and unable to do much at all. Sounds horrible.

Yeah my mention of my colleague was just to point out that I don’t know enough people to get a feel for this. laelfy’s point seems pertinent though, and you’d think if almost everyone who had it had some very noticeable problems for a sustained period then it would be a bit more of the national conversation than it seems to be at the moment. I mean these are not trivial symptoms.

It does sound horrible, but again that’s only one person you know. I don’t know anyone who’s even had a positive test let alone any long term symptoms.

1 Like

Can you see anything in the paper that seems flawed? It seems quite well set out to this layman.

Didn’t read it in enough detail tbh