Coronavirus Thread #ssp

My wife sent a bunch of these around last night and got a load of lovely text messages back. Would recomend.

5 Likes

Kind of related to this but the number of vulnerable (elderly, long term sick etc) people I’ve been hearing about in the mutual aid groups who are basically receiving no additional assistance during this time and are relying on these networks to do things like shopping/walking/dogs/providing basic provisions is pretty concerning.

On one hand it’s fantastic these groups exist but, I can’t help but think there should be better official provision for people in these circumstances.

2 Likes

The insidious thing though is that it’s all connected though isn’t it. Like people work for those bookies etc etc.

It’s what I was musing on with the furore over renters vs mortgage holders. There’s understandable fury about renters being hung out to dry, but the problem isn’t really their rent. They still need a home and that still has a cost. The problem is not being able to pay the rent because of the effect on employment. So whereas everybody should get a deferral on their accommodation costs while they’re in financial stress, the same bills still have to be paid eventually. And that’s where actual government support ought to be coming in.

2 Likes

The government are, once again, doing the minimum to sort it out. At the end of this, no matter what happens to anyone, it’ll be clear that they were dragging their heels on every single decision. It’s been two days and they’ve not said any support for any workers.

I am really lucky to be in a job that is def going to try to keep manufacturing, but I think about all the support services we emply; caterers on site and stuff, and the simple fact that things are going to get worse before they are better.

They need to make some huge strides forward. They need to go all in on fixing and helping. Just explaining that schools are going to close tomorrow is not enough. Just saying business will get loans is not enough. Just saying “don’t go out, please” but not covering those business that are going to go under, just saying don’t see over 70s when they’re the folk most are MH-wise and physically not being able to get their stuff.

UK Government, and BoJo is fumbling this hugely. Ofc, we all knew he didn’t have it in him and neither did his cabinet. But is all seriousness, not only is this going to upend capatilism, it’s going to upend politics for ever.

Anyone who needs any help, let me know. I will do what ever I can.

I was thinking about doing some sort of podcast or something else other than my drone music, as it’ll help me keep my mind off things. Anyone got any ideas for things?

20 Likes

Nailed it.

2 Likes

Check the live group listings here: https://covidmutualaid.org/ My local one has been set up by some students and they have been amazing. We have the whole area covered and the aim is to have smaller WhatsApp groups set up for each street to check in on vulnerable neighbours. I’ve been checking in with my elderly neighbours everyday too and have given them my phone number in case they need anything.

1 Like

this was a reply to sheeldz obv

this and the thing @Otto posted both look good but I live in the Netherlands. will ask people in the labour international group if they know if an equivalent

2 Likes

Thinking about logistics for some Disintegration State ‘live’ performances from our homes.

5 Likes

Great idea, worthwhile cause, done with best of intentions

#ViralKindness still pisses me off though ngl

Mate, I was just about send you a message…

1 Like

In one of the replies there was a suggestion that schools aren’t closing until friday and we’re not in full lockdown yet because not enough people have died :grimacing:

If people want to watch me doodle around on guitar using a loop pedal to make messy pointless tunes then I’m game also

1 Like

The parents of a friend of mine had a cold caller offering funeral services. There are going to be so many people taking complete advantage of vulnerable people right now. Unbelievable.

1 Like

We got one of these through the door the other day. It was quite heart warming to know that people round here give a shit

1 Like

I think a series of DiS mini gigs would be cool

4 Likes

Farm shop run paid off and then some - bread, butter, cheese, and every fruit and veg you like. Oh and a dozen eggs for 2 pounds <3

4 Likes

That’s just 6 pence per egg!

4 Likes

butter would be so good right now :drooling_face: