Correcting people's grammatical mistakes and incorrect pronunciations

Do you find yourself suppressing the urge to correct people when the opportunity arises or, on the whole, do you not give a shit?

When it comes to friends and family I’m used to their lack of grammatical awareness and idiosyncratic pronunciations, but when it comes to a professional setting I find it hard to resist the urge to say something. In my office my assistant manager recently pronounced ‘clique’ as ‘click’ and I gave him the wtf face but didn’t correct him, worried that I would be the one that came across as a twat. And my manager recently circulated an email round the office that started, ‘Please bare in mind…’

So yeah, on the whole, I do resist the urge to correct people out of a awareness of me coming across as a pedantic twat and not wanting to upset people, but I just end up thinking less of them.

How do you deal with these grammatical and pronunciation faux pas in other people?

literally couldn’t care less about it

7 Likes

I just ignore them these days.

Feeling quite pleased I don’t know you tbh

6 Likes

Even giving a wtf face is unprofessional, superior and twatty. Just ignore it unless it’s contained in a written communication going out in your name or the company’s name, in which case you deal with it appropriately and not by pulling a “wtf” face. That is IMO worse than saying something.

4 Likes

Moonwalk’s out of the room

3 Likes

Btw if ever I saw a deliberately goady thread, this is it. Wish I’d ignored you tbh. :rofl:

2 Likes

Some people pronounce clique a click though.

yeah I thought this was a fairly common pronunciation

2 Likes

I used to do it, when I was at school, but wouldn’t now.

:ballot_box_with_check: solved

Got to have standards.

If it was given to someone else’s face I completely agree with you.

As my back was turned to him, was giving it to my computer screen.

1 Like

Errors do rankle with me but they’re mostly not worth the hassle of correcting. The exceptions for me are with my 13yo who I will occasionally correct; he’s still learning correct grammar so I think that’s fine. The other is at work when I have to approve ads for newspapers, magazines etc. Our marketing managers should know better and I’m happy to educate them.

My boss pronounces the a in cache as a hard A. Why.

ft.

Did this loads as a youth but barely ever now unless someone is struggling to pronounce/spell something, has asked for proofreading, or it’s at a tournament (they don’t get points for misspelling a word).

I only really get judgey about it on guys’ dating profiles, but that’s not something I like about myself.

I think less of people for being unkind or rude, for bad personality traits. Couldn’t care less if someone doesn’t pronounce/spell things correctly and doesn’t have a strong grasp of grammar.

6 Likes

Do you moonwalk everywhere?

9 Likes

the only thing I ever feel even slightly annoyed by is people saying ‘lay’ when it’s technically ‘lie’ or ‘laid’

but it doesn’t matter at all.

in fact, I actually quite like that not everyone spells everything correctly, or that not everyone has a perfect grasp of grammar and syntax.

if somebody used the wrong word, I might offer the right one to be helpful, which I feel is very different. benevolent, not borne of annoyance.