Costa Brava & Girona

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Costa Brava? Fancy going to Barcelona this year and no doubt that’ll involve a lot of walking in the heat so would like to take a few relaxing days at the end of the trip.

Just looking to chill by the sea, maybe some places to sit outside under a parasol and have a drink. Good eating options always essential.

Are the coastal towns easy enough to get to via public transport from somewhere like Girona or is it best to hire a car?

Cheers.

Girona’s pretty but a bit dull, wouldn’t plan to spend more than a couple of days there. Also wasn’t mad about the food there, which was very unusual for Spain.

Think the coast between Barcelona and Girona is mostly gross resorts, would massively recommend the coast about an hour north though, we’ve been a couple of times. First time we went we based ourselves in Begur, there are loads of really nice beaches a short drive away (if there’s any public transport I’ve never seen any evidence of it). Second time we stayed in an amazing B&B down by the sea, the seafood in the restaurant there was the best I’ve ever eaten.

Cheers for this Steved. So I take it you hired a car (or drove yourself) to drive to Begur and to hop around the area?

Yeah, we picked the car up at Girona airport and drove up from there. The roads are all pretty chill around there, always found driving in Spain much easier than driving in the UK.

Would recommend either May/Early June or early Autumn, the weather will still be excellent and the prices will be normal as it’s not peak season.

1 Like

I’ve always enjoyed L’Escala / Empúries / Sant Marti d’Empúries - there are some amazing Greek / Roman ruins in Empúries, and Sant Marti is a really nice place to chill. The beaches are nice, some great ones further round the bay of Roses. If you eat meat then there’s the best rotisserie chicken I’ve ever eat at Kan Kilis in L’Escala

1 Like

Still cannot get my head around the fact that Girona is not in Italy…

3 Likes

I’m off to Platja d’Aro next week I’ll let ya know

1 Like

Enjoy! Look forward to the report.

1 Like