Could I be anymore rewatching Friends?

not on your nelly, pal. just not having it.

Rachel - Self absorbed, spoilt, entitled, attention seeking
Monica - Controlling to an extreme
Chandler - Cowardly and condescending with some proper irritating tics
Ross - Has to have own way, very possessive
Joey - Sleazy misogynist, also thick to the point that it’s just annoying.
Phoebe - Head up in the clouds but not much else wrong?

Phoebe aside I reckon they’re quite horrible people. And there’s a lot of stuff in friends that surely wouldn’t go down well today - Gender politics, homophobia, obesity, transphobia, focusing pretty much only on middle class white people in one of the most diverse cities in the world etc.

2 Likes

phoebe did that thing where she donated her wedding money to charity and then took it back
all a bit self absorbed but reckon rachel, phoebe and chandler would be just about pleasant enough to hang around with

The second part of that’s the important bit though right, like all comedies are filled with characters no one would want to hang round with but that’s fine, the problem with friends is that it doesn’t ever, as a programme, seem aware that these are negative traits in the way that yer curbs, seinfelds, it’s always sunnies etc. are

4 Likes

Bang on, you can get away with having detestable human beings as the characters in a comedy as long as you dispense with any degree of sentimentality, to be as hateable as this lot and to combine it with such schmaltz and will-they-won’t-they storylines and hugging etc just makes a bad show. (Also it’s very rarely funny)

1 Like

Yes! Nail on the head.

Here you go:

The first four seasons are good. After that it gets patchy, though there’s occasional funny episodes. It’s much better than some on here make out, but nowhere near the likes of Seinfeld or Cheers etc

And the best episode is the one where they do the quiz and Chandler/Joey win Monica/Rachel’s flat

1 Like

^this

i have an opinion about this tv show

1 Like

Early series: Joey or Monica
Later series: Ross

agree with this but who gives a shit, as with most comedy shows the characterisation and storylines are basically vehicles for the gag writing anyway

1 Like

Like Rory and Lorelai in Gilmore Girls…

It’s tossycock

1 Like

Wouldn’t call that a comedy though but yeah, they are the absolute pits.

1 Like

I say this every time it comes up but up to series 4 it’s a cracking comedy. Then the London episode happens and it’s 6 seasons of mostly drivel thereafter.

2 Likes

kiyonemakibi got there first.

1 Like

Chandler is best, Ross second

best moment

yeah, seinfeld concludes with them all going to jail for being self-absorbed, terrible people, and IASIP revolves around them being increasingly terrible to each other and those around them

in friends it’s never acknowledged that any of them are selfish, other than it’s literally their entire personality (joey loves women, monica is controlling, rachel is spoilt, phoebe overreacts all the time etc.)

1 Like

well, part of their personality and what makes them the characters they are