Courtney Barnett

The bill for the Victoria Park gig is seriously tempting: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, St Vincent, Courtney Barnett

2 Likes

Great cover of Never Tear Us Apart

I thought we we saw her at Somerset House sheā€™d implied she wouldnā€™t be back in the UK for ages. Good to see sheā€™s still touring even if it means we canā€™t see her do a home town if sheā€™s up there

Frustrating that we didnā€™t get the Court & Kurt tour in Australia

I thought she might be a big chance for Splendour, but the US dates rule out that idea

1 Like
4 Likes

Brilliant.

this is great eh? absolutely gutted iā€™m playing a gig in inverness the night sheā€™s playing the barras

1 Like

way to go Courtney - great album!!

Rare that I love something this much on first listen. Sheā€™s got an absolutely incredible knack for an earworm hook and obviously a great lyricist.

4 Likes

Two listens in and this is fully delivering. The first half in particular is just sensational, Charity is SUCH a jam

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m really enjoying this, love the lowkey start to the album and the last two songs in particular

finally got to see her for the first time yesterday. far too short a set but loads of fun, highlight of the whole day.

2 Likes

Iā€™m off to see her for the first time next weekend, really looking forward to it. Added bonus of it being at the barras! :+1:

2 Likes

I like ā€œCity Looks Prettyā€ a lot more than any other solo songs Iā€™ve heard from her.

Notice the ā€œsoloā€ caveat. I quite liked some of her collaboration with Kurt Vile, but the style is so different itā€™s like the proverbial apples and oranges.

Completely in love with her at the moment. Seeing her, albeit at the scummy Bristol academy in a few weeks. V excited

Just watched her biggest weekend set, properly great.

4 Likes

really liking the new album.

didnā€™t really get into the Kurt Vile one, and the little non-album singles sheā€™s dropped over the last couple of years hadnā€™t grabbed me in the same way as previous stuff so i was a little bit worried in case sheā€™d lost it already. first half of this album is some of her best work yet though. second half feels less essential but still enjoyable.

3 Likes

Feels kind of odd when I find myself singing along to the chorus of Nameless Faceless, but it is a pretty catchy song.

The album is great, especially the first half.

Thatā€™s pretty much what I was going to write word for word. I was expecting a pretty big let down after really not enjoying the Kurt Vile collaboration but it ended up being a nice surprise for me. The first half is fantastic, thereā€™s a real sense of dread / sadness behind it.