Covering your own song in a different language

I like it when artists do versions of their own songs in foreign languages. Here are some great ones, can anyone think of any others (has to be the original artist singing in a different language, preferably with some questionable translation/pronunciation)?

1 Like

I always liked The Beach Boys’ German version of In My Room. Don’t speak German so no idea of the quality of translation.

1 Like

Queens of the Stone Age re-recorded one of their own songs (Gonna Leave You, maybe?) in Spanish.

Then there’s the Beatles’ German singles obviously…

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

Blur did this as a b-side

2 Likes

Early Divine Comedy hit “Becoming More Like Alfie” was re-recorded in French with additional vocals by a local comedian:

Beck - Burro

Chris Cornell - Can’t Change Me

1 Like

Girls Aloud recorded a version of their hit Can’t Speak French - in French! Oh how we laughed.
It was a b-side, I bought it in Woolworths in Skipton on CD single, the greatest of all the formats. As clever clever jokes go, it’s great tbh

2 Likes

Unless this came before the English version, in which case it’s the other way round

1 Like

If I remember rightly it was the b-side of the English version single when it came out. It’s disqualified anyway because it’s not in a foreign language (so far as Bjork is concerned). Utterly lovely, of course.

Czech version of A Lovely Day Tomorrow

1 Like
1 Like

Howard sings a couple of verses in french here…

Francois Hardy did her English and Italian language albums. She might even have done German as well?

I think France Gall did German language stuff too.

Pixies really should have done Spanish versions of their albums.

Didn’t Shakira re-record her Spanish stuff in English? Probably a fair few examples is big Central/South American pop stars doing this for the U.S. market.

All of Kraftwerk’s UK albums too

3 Likes

That’s weirdly compelling and spooky. My German is pretty basic and it’s hard to make out what they’re singing but it seems like a pretty free translation- whatever they’re singing in the chorus it’s not ‘in meinem zimmer’.

1 Like