Craig Gill and Tinnitus

Another stark reminder to wear bloody earplugs at gigs!!!

Poor bloke, used to see him doing his Manchester music tour outside Night and Day cafe all the time.

had a conversation with an audiologist recently and he mentioned the amount of patients he sees who have severe mental health difficulties. it’s not just loud gigs that can do damage either - listening to music on headphones at a certain level cause damage, builds up over time. he said even if your ears seem fine now - just wait a couple of decades… been watching the volume since

Someone I vaguely know who has been a reasonably prominent indie musician for about 15 years and has wrote articles in newspapers etc about tinnitus shared the “Reddit tinnitus cure” saying he couldn’t believe how good it is.

I tried it and wasn’t 100% convinced, but I tried it directly after coming back from a gig (with ears properly ringing) as opposed to when just dealing with standard tinnitus.

Anyways, if it gives anyone else some respite then it’s worth sharing I suppose:

“Place the palms of your hands over your ears with fingers resting gently on the back of your head. Your middle fingers should point toward one another just above the base of your skull. Place your index fingers on top of you middle fingers and snap them (the index fingers) onto the skull making a loud, drumming noise. Repeat 40-50 times. Some people experience immediate relief with this method. Repeat several times a day for as long as necessary to reduce tinnitus.”

Yes, whatever the reason for this tragedy, protect your hearing.

I’ve been wearing earplugs for gigs and band rehearsals for nearly thirty years now and my hearing is pretty good as a result. I’ve also been careful with headphone volume.

This isn’t meant to sound smug it’s intended to indicate that tinnitus isn’t the price you have to pay for a love of music. I’ve spent thousands of hours watching live music and playing guitar in tiny rehearsal spaces and I’m fine.

If you love music look after your ears.