Criminal charges in the Hillsborough case

Been a fucking long time coming. At last.

I have always been strongly affected by the events at Hillsborough, and this has been a long time coming. There was clear incompetence (and inaction) by Duckinfield on the day that contributed to the deaths but what in some ways was even worse was the subsequent cover-up and smearing. Bettinson has some very big questions to answer

i could google but why 95 not 96 people ?

The 96th died four years after the event after having his life support switched off, no idea what that decision means for the legal charge but it’s presumably as a result of that

Not sure but it could be that the 96th person (sorry, can’t remember the name) passed away in hospital after having been in a coma for a long time

yeah I was semi-aware of that, presume there’s a complex legal reason why it isn’t included.

4 year coma :frowning_face:

Andrew Devine[edit]
Tony Bland was one of two people injured at Hillsborough to have been diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state. The other was 22-year-old Andrew Devine, also from the Liverpool area, who also suffered massive brain damage as a result of being deprived of oxygen due to crush injuries and in the immediate aftermath of the disaster his parents were warned by doctors that he was likely to die within a few months. In 1994, five years after the disaster and one year after the death of Tony Bland, Devine’s family claimed to have seen him following a moving object with his eyes. By March 1997, Devine was able to communicate to others using a touch-sensitive buzzer to answer “yes” or “no” to questions asked.[10] By the time of the disaster’s 20th anniversary in April 2009, it was reported that he continues to show signs of awareness around him but his condition has barely improved since he was first reported to have emerged from the coma 12 years earlier.[11]

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Fuck

Aye - exactly this.

yeah. absolutely ridiculous that this has taken 28 years. it’s had such a massive impact on a whole community for so long.

There’s no doubt in my mind that it was worse.

It’s likely that many/most of the mistakes that contributed to the disaster were down to incompetence or honest errors of judgement but what went on afterwards appears deliberately malicious.

important info , share far and wide http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-charges-not-give-suspects-13250526