Crosswords

I know there was a Guardian daily crossword thread, but wanted to open it up to e.g. the NEW NEW YORKER CROSSWORD which I like a lot

You massive nerds also like crosswords, right?

Just wait till your father gets home

Genuinely can’t remember the last time I did a crossword. Probably in a puzzle book during summer holiday car trips

What’s your favourite ever crossword clue then?

What about the New York Times mini-crossword? I do it with my colleague and try and get a record time every day. Managed to do one in 34 seconds, not sure we’ll ever crack that:

Love a crozzy me. Nearly finished the Private Eye one on Friday. I’ve started making a few up as well, including

Me? A bit of Radio Two, stupid! (5)
Few start again without energy in county (8)
Former lover I tax to let off (9)

IDIOT

EXONERATE

SOMERSET

I’ve never been able to do cryptics though I’d like to some day. These are good though, proper slap yourself when you get them:

Araucaria’s best clues

1 Cox at me (6,3,6)

2 Of of of of of of of of of of (10)

3 Oppo, perhaps, of Caesar, J? (7)

4 Poetical scene with surprisingly chaste Lord Archer vegetating (3,3,8,12)

5 A forbidding place (7,4)

6 Semi-automated nun? (8,2,5)

7 Astany Portorm? (3,4,2,1,5)

8 Warning not to outstay welcome I encountered in African country (4,2,2)

9 Proverbial aphrodisiac bees can produce (7)

10 Refuse to go here with Spooner’s broken racket (7)

11 Take another setter also to your heart? (4,2,4,2,3)

1 Income tax return, 2 oftentimes, 3 antonym, 4 The Old Vicarage Grantchester, 5 Auction Room, 6 Creature of habit, 7 Any port in a storm, 8 Time to go, 9 Absence, 10 Dustbin, 11 Love me, love my dog

The ‘Lord Archer’ one is legendary

Pain (6,5)

French bread?

FFS I will never be able to do cryptics.

Muddled Latin masters might (12)

mistranslate

I enjoy doing the Evening Standard crossword on my commute home most evenings.

Only one I’ve ever come up with (somewhere on here I’m sure):

• Danny Dyer takes long look at government PR (10)

I bought a crossword pad and we do one every night before bed. Fuck me it knocks us out! We can normally complete one but sometimes if you’re a tiny bit tired, you’re fucked

Was doing the Guardian quick and cryptic daily for ages but haven’t been into it much recently – far less downtime at work :frowning: should also start doing it before bed or something. Much more of a fan of the sparse grids we see on the UK versus the style you see in the NYT etc.