Cultural References You've Made That Younger People Haven't Understood Which Made You Feel Old (rolling)

Twice in the last couple of weeks I’ve made references to Beavis & Butthead assuming people know exactly what I mean without any further explanation, only to realise from their blank expressions that they have absolutely no idea who I’m talking about.

Every time something like this happens, please feel free to share it in this thread.

4 Likes

Mentioned sharky and george to my 1994 born brother and he regarded me blankly

19 Likes

I need TP for my bunghole?

4 Likes

Golden Girls joke to an office of blank faces

5 Likes

It happens far too often to document every occurance in this thread, sorry.

4 Likes

I don’t get the reference sorry

2 Likes

Balonz wants a tent up his arse

2 Likes

I referenced Victor Meldrew in the office recently and my 24 year-old colleague had no idea who he was. How the mighty are fallen, poor Victor

2 Likes

Did he not believe it?

3 Likes

Classic Victor

2 Likes

He answered the phone, but it was a dog.

5 Likes

My sister-in-law mentioned Mr Blobby in her office and they had to explain the concept to a 23-year-old

9 Likes

Not even sure where you’d even begin with that.

3 Likes

Made a Bruno Brookes reference to a colleague the other day, he had never heard of him.

5 Likes

The other week, manager in the office asked if anyone was able to take a call and my 30-something colleague said ‘I’m free!’ to which I responded ‘Alright Mr Humphries’.

Nothing. Nada.

6 Likes

I mentioned the Milky Bar Kid the other week and our new apprentice just stared at my blankly and ask who that was?

4 Likes

Just tried to make a quick off the cuff remark about contemporary TV and you know what modern TV show I opted for?

Murder She Wrote.

10 Likes

was talking about the simpsons to someone 4 years younger than me on a date about a month ago, and they called it ‘retro’.

sacked the 2nd date off obviously.

2 Likes

Not me, but M.

We were playing a guessing game with the kids and the person we were trying to guess was bald (a teacher at G’s school). M’s guess? Duncan Goodhew :slight_smile:

I did one myself too though. The odd looks I got the other day saying “eeee rat fans” whilst giving the thumbs up. Worth every embarrassing second

6 Likes