Cyclin5 Thread 🚲

Was having buying remorse on my to pick it up cos I’ve never spent that much on anything before

Went away as soon as I picked it up and felt how light it is

Just cycled it 25km home in the dark, bit scary for a first ride but fun. Need to get used to the hard seat or change it maybe

7 Likes

Yeah if it’s not comfy with the clothes you want to wear on it swap that saddle out for a nice big comfy armchair of a seat

1 Like

And not wanting to either tempt fate or disagree with niki’s good advice, I haven’t had to repair a puncture in about five years and that’s mainly because my very slow tyres are made out of heavy kryptonite

1 Like

The only other advice I would give is: ride it. The more you ride it the more you will want to and the more likely you are to keep riding it

2 Likes

I run silly lightweight racing tyres (Conti GP5000s) even in winter, and I can still count the number of road punctures I’ve had on one hand. I think getting your tyre pressures right is the key component to a relatively puncture- and hassle-free cycling life

3 Likes

touches wood

1 Like

Yeah it was what worked for my dad. He was getting punctures all the time until I asked him what pressures he was using to pootle round back roads in Norfolk

1 Like

Just a few minutes before I picked up my puncture yesterday, I was thinking ‘might swap these tyres for something a bit faster’.

Still, not sure I need the gravelkings for pootling to work and back. Might use that bike a bit again during the winter I suppose - don’t want to get my lovely Ribble all muddy and trashed.

1 Like

Track pump is a great call though. Nothing discourages you more from just getting on your bike than the thought of spending ten minutes using a hand pump to make it rideable first. Changed my life

2 Likes

my early cycling life was riddled with punctures due to poor tyre pressures. Only on my most recent cycling life journey did I learn that proper tyre pressures require an inhumane amount of effort to achieve with a hand pump. Track pumps FTW

2 Likes

ha! you got there first

I love how we’re all massively superstitious about our tyres :smiley:

1 Like

I still run my tyre pressures a good bit higher than what would be considered optimal for pace. I should be around 65-72 psi, but anything less than 80 makes me nervous (getting better tho, three years ago I wouldn’t go lower than 110)

1 Like

I got a puncture the other day in the middle of nowhere, but when fixing it and checking the tyre I basically pulled a whole bottle bank of different glass shards out of it, couldn’t believe it had stayed inflated for so long!

Some of the paths I commute on are basically pure glass though

Thanks for all the tips everyone

Cycle paths in the Netherlands are obv top notch so I’m hoping that means I don’t have to deal with too many punctures

6 Likes

hows that? i though harder tyres roll faster, generally.

i refuse to go out with less than 100 in because im a big beautiful bouncing boy

I think that used to be accepted wisdom, but studies now show that lower tyre pressures optimised to your bike, wheels, rims, tyre width and rider weight (plus weather conditions) roll faster due to optimal contact with the road surface. Too low and you’re slow due to too much road contact and friction, too high and there are energy losses due to bouncing around too much etc

2 Likes

Hi

Anybody here have an ebike?

X

I think @whiterussian did until they dropped it in the sea :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh…