Cycling Thread 2.0

look on youtube there’s folk showing you how to do it.

you’ll be fine. one piece of advice i would give is pick one leg for unclipping and always unclip that same leg, leave the other one attached all the time unless you’re getting off the bike. makes things easier.

1 Like

Weaker leg clipped out so the stronger leg can get the first pedal stroke when pushing off. But this doesn’t work for everyone

Unclipping disasters are fine tho, it’ll only happen if you forget to unclip or have problems unclipping so you won’t be going very fast

You’ll get the hang of it eventually

1 Like

it would mostly be the left (in the UK) wouldn’t it? my right leg is stronger, and the pavement is to the left.

usually you will naturally always start pedalling with the same foot, so unclip the other one.

in an ideal world yeah, over here you would unclip your left foot so that it’s next to the pavement. I unclip my right though. don’t think it really makes much difference.

@profk have you joined the DiS Bike Wankers Strava group? I am interested in following your progress. You’ve come a long way from ‘I’m not wearing any Lycra’ to ‘can you check these cleats for me?’

1 Like

I have not purchased a single item of lycra.

But yes, I am. I’m the guy with a beard looking smug in front of an old brick factory. I have only ever logged one jog on the application.

Think I found you, so ruddy smug.

1 Like

I’ve joined the strava group now…

Alright you 2 wheeled heroes. Feel like a bit of a shill posting this in here but here’s my Just Giving page for the charity ride I’m doing to Brighton in honour of my ma-in-law. If anybody can donate anything I’d be really appreciative.

It’s got my actual real name on it and everything #breakingthe4thwall

2 Likes

First metric century for a few months, I am dead. It was so windy and hilly.

2 Likes

just went for my first little ride! mastered clipless and getting the hang of these gears. installed my saddle bag all on my own too which I’m pretty proud about.

think i need to change my shoes though, they were hurting my soles after like 5 mins.

also the topeak aero wedge medium fits loads of shit - 2 tubes, multitool, patch repair kit, keys and even fit my minipump in too.

planning cycling holiday in may -

either majorca again because it was good.

OR

Austria. - anyone done any austria? (in general, doesn’t have to be cycling-centric i spose)

what cleats are they? spds? change the position of cleats before you change shoes, there’s loads of guff online about where to position them. also check saddle height, even a small adjustment in that can make a difference.

1 Like

My dad has been cycling in Austria twice. Stayed in Schladming. Said it was incredibly pretty, the cycling was really hard. Did the Grossglockner twice. Sounds like a huge mountain.

I’d go Austria

1 Like

yeah I definitely do want high & hard in austria (oo-er) but TV definitely prefers slow and flat… which is why majorca is the happy compromise i think. might look into somewhere on the adriatic or lake garda too though.

Fucking hell - North Somerset / South Gloucestershire is hilly as fuck. My legs could barely go up any 15% inclines and there were a few of them I had to get off and push on, which I’ve not done for a year or so.

:dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

Does anyone know if/where you can get a helmet scanned for damage? When I had my crash last week I scraped my head along the road a bit, but didn’t really have any major impact as far as I can remember. As a result my helmet is a bit scratched up but still in one one piece (externally at least). I’m about 80% sure it’s fine, but I don’t want the only way to know for sure being the next time I get hit by a car - it’s a bit late then!

Given I spent quite a lot of money on it I don’t really want to go out and buy another one if I don’t need to. I know you can get carbon frames and the like x-rayed for non-visible damage, I just wonder if the same is possible for helmets?

what brand? giro says:

Q: WHAT IF I’M NOT SURE IF MY HELMET HAS BEEN DAMAGED?
If at any time you are unsure or have questions about your Giro helmet’s condition, you can send it to Giro for a free inspection. Our technician will thoroughly inspect your helmet, note any damage found and make our recommendations on whether the helmet should continue to be used. Call us at (800) 456-2355 or e-mail us at giro-consumersupport@giro.com for more details on this free service.