Cycling Thread 2.0

:smile:

1 Like

didn’t even clock the ‘brevet’ mention up thread. fuck.

btw how do I search for routes people have done around a specific area on Strava? I’m at my parents for a couple of weeks in the rolling Surrey hills and want to get some cycles in.

I drank 2 cartons of ribena during my AUDAX yesterday, if that counts for anything

Also a scotch egg, a peprami and a samosa

1 Like

use ridewithgps, search by postcode, then narrow it down to rides beginning however many miles away from there

(btw I am around this weekend if you’d like an “introduction to North Kent” ride)

Strave is not amazing for that really - try looking at the Ride with GPS website instead

absolute classic audaxing

any mid-ride pints?

I could help here, depending on where you’re starting and thinking of riding to

ta! I’m gonna be in Surrey, but cheers anyway! Is it quite flat around there? Its fucking hilly around Surrey.

Well, I’ll be starting in Haslemere and just want to get out and do a few ‘introductory’ rides. Probably no more than 15k without too many hard hills.

no, think beer would have been a step too far for me on a 200

We passed lots of hop farms though - plus lots of very tempting looking pubs

depends how far you go in Kent (sorry, totally didn’t read your post properly about being in Surrey) but it generally is pretty hilly – if you cross the M25 directly south there’s a very steep ridge with monsters like Hogtrough, Brasted, Westerham and Sundridge waiting for you on the way back.

Will knock a couple up if I get a chance later. Haslemere isn’t too hilly tbh, unless you’re whacking it up to Hindhead

1 Like

ah, cheers man!

Well there’s Woolmer Hill which looks brutal, and then there’s Tennyson’s too. I’m thinking maybe to Chiddingfold via the Petworh road and back via Grayswood might be cool?

My first suggestion was going to be Haslemere-Fernhurst-Lodsworth-Chiddingfold (ish)-Haslemere. About 20 miles

1 Like

What cycling computer does everyone use these days?

Never had one and thought about dipping my toe in to the water. Is it substantially better than using a phone mount?

Yes. Battery should last you a long ride (my Garmin Edge 520 has been known to last for 160km but this weekend it was barely lasting 100) which I guess is the main thing. Customisable screens (like I have current speed / average speed / time of day / distance / time of ride / cadence) and linking to things like heart rate monitors and cadence / speed sensors. Auto pause is way more accurate than using Strava on a phone.

They’re diddy too, and pretty hardy (would survive a drop or crash where a phone probably wouldn’t).

If I was looking at getting my first one, I’d get a Wahoo ELEMNT or the new ELEMNT Bolt. I hate having to plug my Garmin in to put routes on it and having to fucking sort maps out every time I go somewhere new.

GBP 249.99 blimey!

Thing is, I only want it for turn-by-turn directions. I don’t want to come across all @zxcvbnm here, but I’m not fussed on speed, cadence and distance guff. Just want to load a route and follow it.

Did you ever try breadcrumb navigation, and how is that different? Maybe an Edge 25 is all I need.

Could get a Garmin Edge Tour or whatever they are off eBay?

but yeah, in that case, maybe an old phone would be the best thing?