Cycling Thread 2.0

If I bring my bike round can you wash her too?

I normally ave a can of deodorant in my bag that is useful for wedging between the seat tube and back wheel to provide some tension. Anything cylindrical will work I guess.

Firstly, you’ll have a great time! 20 days is plenty time to get to Santander.

Are you camping or staying in hotels/gites? I stayed in hotels all the way. Booked in advance cos right now is the French school holidays so everywhere is busy. I hired a touring hybrid bike and had rear panniers and another bag for the handlebars.

I followed the Velodyssey route all the way down…https://www.velodyssey.com/

It was fairly flat the whole way and about 80% of it was on traffic free cycle paths. The paths ranged from smooth gravel to amazing asphalt tracks. There are some areas that are a bit rougher but they are few and far between.

Great scenery, great people, great food.

This is great! Thanks so much. Hadn’t heard of the Velodyssey thing before so will look into that. A friend of mine did the Roscoff route a few years ago so maybe she did it.

I’m going on my own and have literally nothing planned. I’m taking my road bike with panniers and a tiny tent on the rear rack. How will skinny (25) road tyres far on the gravellier bits?

I’m planning on sorting out some couchsurfing/warmshowering and maybe camping rough or on campsites a couple of nights - and maybe in a hostel in some of the bigger cities mabye? I really don’t know. Haven’t sorted anything out yet.

Anyone recommend me a basic, cheap GPS thing? Will I need one? Don’t really want to buy one tbh. Anyone selling an old one?

Yep, your road bike will be fine for the most part.

I did it on my own too. Best way!! There are dozens of campsites all the way down the coast.

The Velodyssey is well signposted all the way down but there are occassions where you need a good sense of direction where there is no signage. It’s sometimes quite easy to miss a sign too. I bought a book with maps for the whole route…it’s in French, but the maps are great.

Just remember though that on a Sunday pretty much everything is closed in France, outwith the cities. Make sure you have enough food!

Seriously, velodyssey is great, and so easy to navigate. Follow the green arrows and you’ll be fine.

And there’s also this

1 Like

Can lend you my Garmin and mount if needed :slight_smile:

Great stuff!

What was it like being on your own? Did you meet anyone en route or happy in your own company? I’m excited about it but also a bit anxious that I’ll be lonely :frowning:

I’ll have my phone with hopefully free roaming but might get a map as a plan b, good shout.

Did you get the ferry home?

Oh wow, will you not need it though? I’m away for 3 weeks :confused:

Meh… nothing really planned tbh. Offers there anyway. Also have a solar panel charger thing I used which you might find handy for the GPS or your phone/lights etc, just attach it to whatever is on top of your panniers (it’s waterproof just incase). (And if it worked in Scotland, should work where you’re going :laughing:)

m8 this would be super useful if you really don’t mind? I can explore other avenues, don’t worry! As would the solar panel chargy thing!

Cool, when you going?

Heading down to EOTR on the 31st I think

I’ll bring everything to work on Tuesday :+1:

It’s great being on your own!! Don’t have to worry about anyone else, about how often you stop to take pictures, how long you take for lunch.

I took my bike on the train back to where I hired them, then flew home.

Urgh this court case.
Her family want tougher cycling laws… Such as what?

Licenses, Registration, Helmets!

The usual bullshit probably.

I know journos don’t write the headlines blah blah but the state of this in the guardian:

Ex-courier convicted for mowing down woman on his track bike | UK news | The Guardian

‘Mowing down’ ffs. That’s the language they use for terrorist attacks.