Cycling Thread 2.0

Because each sock is asymmetrical.

I can’t take any more of this.

*dura ace bottom bracket

was hoping it would arrive yesterday, so i could fit it today, so i could ride it tomorrow. but nope. so might have to ride my single speed round arran tomorrow. that should be fun.

It’s the same with lots of running socks and hiking socks and stuff like that. The big toe area is bigger than the little toe area, that’s all.

Russell’s bike shed do a membership thing where you get a full service, a 6 month service, free bike hire while yours is in the workshop and unlimited free little jobs (anything under £10) over the year for £9 a month. That’s probably worth it innit

I have some shoes like that too

£108 for two services? probably about right. doesn’t sound like a mega bargain though.

depends how much you use the free “anything under £10” thing. can’t think how many things would be under £10 though so dunno what that includes.

2 Likes

yeah, basically this.

Sounds alright if you can’t do lil jobs yourself (what’s a tenner? Gear adjustment and brakes, you should be able to do that yourself). It works out at £108/year, so if you spend more than that on servicing a bike then fine. The only things I’d need to put the bike in for are BB issues now so it wouldn’t be worth it for me really.

aye it’s mainly spreading cost over the year rather than paying 2 big chunks for services, but indexing would come under the under £10 bracket which is handy given how shit I am at maintenance :slight_smile:

wonder how much they’d let you take the piss with it though, like if you were in every month asking them to tune it up a touch they might get a bit arsey

idk if you’re springing for a couple of services anyway then why not

It would be worth someone testing that, definitely.

they’ve got 2 workshops in sheffield, will just mix it up so they don’t see a pattern

1 Like

Let me know how it is (if you can even tell the difference between BBs). My Rotor BB is needing to be replaced soon I reckon.

Although I’d reckon it’s like cassettes, you don’t really notice, and therefore need, the difference between an ultergra and DA BB.

can almost guarantee i won’t be able to tell. only got it bc it was cheaper than the ultegra level BBs elsewhere.

might last a bit longer? fuck knows

DA cassette is something silly like 30g lighter isn’t it? no one in the world is noticing that difference. (think even the pros use Ult cassettes, maybe even 105).

DA stuff aparently is generally less durable than the lower level stuff :smiley:

i’ve heard the same thing about 105 vs ultegra. the heavier stuff lasts longer.

they seem to be really stressing the point with the latest groupsets, that dura-ace and ultegra are functionally identical. you’re just paying 2x the price for the weight saving. (like 400g or something over the whole groupset)

The pro teams use Ultergra cassettes as they are more durable. Also creak a bit on certain freehubs

pretty sure I can make that up in my pre-ride dump

1 Like

Just snapped my seatpost clamp. First time for everything.