Cycling Thread 2.0

have you been to the custom bike shows they have? there’s one in Bristol every april at the passenger shed & they have loads of lovely steel, titanium etc bikes
but last time I went they had a few different makers of wooden bikes & some of those were just stunning. will have to see if can find my pictures of them

I will see what I can do - took a load of them, some amazing looking bikes

only problem is that stuff completely disappears if it even thinks about raining

This is why I always carry round sachets of KY Jelly up my thighs instead of caffeine gels

2 Likes

oh that’s why

3 Likes

hope @marckee survived his Penge CC initiation yesterday

*waves *

Yeah, I’m fine today. Sorry for dropping off into the latter group.

I enjoyed yesterday, and everyone seems lovely - it was clear how much Barry meant to the club, and why the club meant so much to him.

In hindsight, I probably wouldn’t have done such a long run the day before, or ridden all the way down from Leytonstone, as my legs were feeling it.

I did find yesterday surprisingly stressful though. I don’t know if this is a newbie thing, or whether it was because the groups were large, or whether it’s because the ride started later in the day when traffic on the lanes is busier. Like with running, I like getting out on my bike because it allows me to clear my head, and get lost and not worry about anything, or anyone else, or keeping pace, but, for example, there was one point where we were going up a steep hill on a long, narrow lane with cars pushing through from behind, cars and tractors coming down the hill, and three horses walking up it too, and it was a bit too much for me.

2 Likes

Definitely the later starting times combined with massive groups… We normally begin at 8am, so we’re normally back before 11, or an hour after than for a longer ride. There seemed to be loads of awful drivers out yesterday. Our group got shouted at loads on the way back. Also, we kind of try to split into groups of ~12ish, which wasn’t really possible yesterday as it was a new route and not many folk knew it.

PENGE!

1 Like

Lots of clubs are like this. Pricks, the lot them

2 Likes

Unfortunately we’ve got quite a lot of them too. All 50-60 on an 8k bike that’s not been within the same county as a race let alone competed in anything (apart from “winning a wiggle sportive”). Their cycling pinnacle is smashing out 100 miles on a Sunday morning in stoney silence at 18 mph, and doing eff all else to be involved. Alas, these are mostly the club officers who’ve been there since the wheel was invented. Plus ça change etc.

I won’t be a first claim member in 2018.

PENGE!

2 Likes

At least we know we’re wankers

3 Likes

Down with boring old men!

2 Likes

I’m not sure how things work in cycle clubs, but aren’t club officers heavily involved in running the club, dedicating lots of their spare time to organising stuff and handling the admin?

Well, we do have 3/4 individuals who do organise and administrate (self included), then a level of Old Boys Club who… err… exist? Every year the AGM agrees on stuff for the next year that just falls flat by March. Lots of us off in January, including the quartet that get shit done. Heh.

This is why I always have the knees uncovered. Oooh, Frank, why yes my bibshorts are riding up my smooth muscly thighs.

1 Like

Where you going to?

A club mate just cycled past as I’m walking to mum’s house and gave me a cheery wave. Disillusioned? Not me anymore! :joy::joy::joy:

Duracell. 2/3/Y new RT based in Woking

#penge, duh

1 Like