Cycling Thread 2.0

Blimey, bit of a trek for a Winch based lad.

I am looking at clubs for impending relocation and most of them look pretty dickhead tbh, and that’s just from their websites and FB. One looks promising though…

You still heading to D*****? This is the slowest move ever.

I know! Will be there just in time for the weather to have rendered any cycling either impossible or miserable :sweat_smile:

Brake cables then. Specifically integrally routed.

My rear brake is playing up. It’s a direct mount 105, which is mounted near the bottom bracket. The lever is stiff to pull when the cable is attached. The caliper and lever work fine. I assume something has found its way into the brake cable (housing?) which is near the bottom bracket which is making it am arse to pull.

I’ve fiddled with the brake, made it looser / tighter, have lubed it, no difference. I have a new cable in my parts box I think. I don’t have proper cable cutters though, or a crimp for the end thingy. Nor do I have anything to help thread it through the internal routing thing.

WHAT SHALL I DO?

New bike

NOT HELPFUL

Sure the cable tension isn’t just too taut or slack?

If not, Easiest way to rethread internal cables is with the runners/outer cabling that come with a new bike…

1 Like

SRS, I have no idea. Internal routing is entirely alien to me.

If there is a foreign object somehow inside the frame then Google brake cable hoover method!!

But I struggle to see how something can get up the routing.

1 Like

Tonight I will try from scratch to set the brake up again as the little release thing to get the rear wheel out ain’t working, so actually you might be right.

Might be nail on the head there them. If the release catch isn’t working like it should, it could make the brake spongy.

Most of the cabling hints/tips videos I’ve seen end with ‘unless you’ve got internal cables, in which case just take it to your LBS’

I’ve a feeling the recommended process is to recable something if you think you have a problem. But you’d need all the gear, and the magnetic cable runner. FAFF

I’d Wait for confirmation from dis mechanic @japes before acting on my suggestions :nerd_face:

1 Like

nah, releasing the cable and making sure it’s got the right tension is probably the first thing to do. I did it quickly on Saturday but like most of my mechanical attempts it was half-arsed. I asked the guy from my LBS yesterday and he said it’s too new to need a new cable really.

definitely a canal job

2 Likes

I’d take the brake caliper off and give it all a clean first as it’s much easier than fucking about with internally routed cables.

sounds like it could be the cable though and fitting a new one isn’t that much hassle. if you don’t have cable crimps for the end you can put a dab of superglue on it (normally they chuck a couple in with the cable packs) or ask your lbs nicely and I’m sure they’d give you a couple.

Chuck it in thec anal