Cycling Thread 2.0

I suppose the worst that can happen is you hate it and it’s shit, so yeah. Go for it.

You don’t have to spend £££££.

I’d get these pedals:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m530-mtb-spd-trail-pedals/

And any SPD shoes which you like to look of and feel comfy. I currently wear these to work because I got them for £30 in a sale:

Yeah, they look fucking dorky but they’re bomb-proof. I’ve worn them every day pretty much since October and they still look new! I really like Giros. I had a pair of Civilas which I loved but they have replaceable walking pads which die in about 2 months which ain’t great. Evans have a shitload of ladies bike shoes in their sale… ie the aforementioned Civilas: Giro Clothing, Helmets & Protection | Evans Cycles

I’m good at clipping in and out now! (Still can’t trackstand mind)

1 Like

Do you need a push at traffic lights as you’re stuck in the wrong gear and somebody is conveniently trackstanding next to you?

Here’s Evans shoe selection sorted by highest saving:

https://www.evanscycles.com/clothing/shoes_c?sort=-saving

Some absolute bargains to be had, though mainly on “road” shoes which I’d avoid for commuting. You want something with “2 bolt” cleats (commonly referred to as mountain bike shoes rather than road shoes but obv you can wear them wherever you fucking like, and Evans confuses the matter by calling some mountain bike shoes “road” shoes.)

Not for literally months

That was almost my last ride on a bicycle

It wasn’t that dangerous

You descending though…

1 Like

Always in control

1 Like

Stylishly wreckless

I was definitely riding behind someone having trouble clipping in on the 200. I could have sworn it was you.

Well after one of my cleats broke after 70km it became trickier but that IS NOT rider error

Mike had some foliage stuck in his pedal after a photo stop

Do you clip in? How long is your commute?

Thanks for these. I’ll have a look.

I am still semi toying with the idea of joining a cycling club but i’ve been saying that for about 4 years now so…

Yes. I very rarely cycle without clipping in tbh. Maybe if I’m just popping to the shops or pub, but anything longer than about 5km I’d probably put proper shoes on. My commute is just over 11km, dunno wtf that is in miles.

7 miles?

My commute should be about 15km so might be worth it. I just hate ruining trainers tbh and have been working on the muscles for pulling up the pedals instead of just pushing down so wanna continue that with clip ins.

For 15km I’d definitely get cleats. Basically if you are going to need to walk any sort of distance in them get spd, if not get spd-sl would be my advice

Also be wary about pulling too much, can overburden your stronger leg and cause knee/muscle issues (this is what happened to me)

You should never be trying to pull the pedals up. Aside from potentially injuring yourself it’s actually less efficient.

Think I’ve just agreed to do two back-to-back 200km rides in preparation for LWL.

:scream: