Cycling Thread 2.0

RIP your bum

I have never had any arse issues while cycling. I suppose there’s a first for everything?

However, I recently got some Assos ladies chamois cream and I used it for the first time recently and that was quite nice.

I end up doing the double shorts trick. I normally find that the first 3 days hurt and then it sort of numbs itself a bit. then after 7 days it starts to hurt again.

Jesus. Fuck that.

Pics pls

Matching socks and jersey. Very penge

What advantages do cycling socks offer over normal socks, or running socks?

(That’s a genuine question, btw)

Mike bought that splatter jersey! It’s well nice.

1 Like

Just fashion mostly, some posh ones will be merino or some techy fabric

1 Like

Looks.

But yeah they’re just “sport” socks aren’t they? Honestly never thought that I’d enjoy getting socks as a gift ever but I fucking love getting cycling socks.

1 Like

Okay, cool! Thanks everyone!

They feel a bit tighter above the ankle than running socks which I guess reduces chances of them slipping/bunching, but yeah as above it’s comfort and aesthetics basically

Hi cycling m9s. Anyone got any tips on gloves? My current ones, pictured below, are a) properly falling apart and b) have always been shit (still had them for six years mind - waste not want not)…

Don’t need any that are super super warm, as virtually all of my winter cycling is commuting in inner London and as such it’s unlikely to ever be below freezing. One thing that is damn annoying about my current ones is that they have a seem on the inside of each finger tip, which actually makes them incredibly uncomfortable when your extremities are already cold.

I wear Defeet’s wool gloves throughout winter for commuting, and for longer rides as well:

(Prefer these over the standard “Dura” ones)

Use them pretty much every day for over a year and they almost look brand new still. They’re pretty much just standard gloves though, there’s not much cycling specific about them, but if I lost them I’d buy the exact same pair.

I’d not really considered wool gloves, but these look good :+1:

How do they hold up in the rain?

They have a bit of merino in them, so I find even though they get wet (and yes, they’ve been soaked through before as they’re not waterproof at all) they keep your hands warm. I don’t have different gloves for when it’s raining. It sounds like you don’t really suffer from cold hands, like me?

1 Like

I have cheapo btwin gloves and my hands were cold today :sleepy:

Never get cold hands. Apart from Saturday, pouring rain, about 0 degrees. Was fine until we stopped at a cafe. Had a coffee and a sausage roll. Rain was Very Bad when we left, and we had about a 5km descent and holy fucking shit, I had to put wet, cold, thin gloves back on, and I thought my hands were going to fall off. Got hot again going back up the ridge into London thank god. One of the only times I’ve been grateful for a hill.

Pretty sure I’d have been fine with the Defeet gloves but I had silly Rapha ones on fwiw

My hands were certainly cold today :snowflake: New route into work is mostly along Quietway 1, which is great (nice and, err, quiet, but also very popular with cyclists so safety in numbers) but quite exposed in places. Plus one of the very first sections of my ride is across a large patch of open land (attrative pic below - that is actually some hardy soul camping on top of the hill) which is very scenic but also noticeably a couple of degrees colder than the surrounding built up area…

Crashed this morning, comedy 3 bike pile up, :+1:

:wind_face::snowflake::snowflake::boom::biking_man::boom::biking_man::boom::biking_man::dizzy: