Cycling Thread 2.0

oh no, u ok?

Shit. U ok hun?

Yeah fine - just banged elbow and torn jacket. Huuuge pile of black ice on a corner sent everyone down, luckily in a back street with no traffic

urgh, ice is the worst. glad you’re okay.

how’re you finding commuting otherwise?

anyone ever fitted a RAW mudflap to a rear raceblade? i’ve been putting it off for ages and really should just do it this weekend.

Well it’s better than the bus!

Route is faaaaairly well adapted for cyclists, the centre of town is mental and pedestrians are fucking morons.

Cars generally fine actually, mostly because they’re all completely stationary all the time. Srsly don’t get people who drive in every day what the hell is wrong with them

No but I bought the raceblades and the rear is extremely tight fit, really don’t wanna go to the bike shop to see if they can fit it any better…

First ride with a CC on Sunday, hope they’re not all chumps :crossed_fingers:

do you not just bolt them on? (never used one)

need to drill a hole in the mudguard i think. looks a bit fiddly but very doable. i’m just laaaaazy.

how’s the bike?

Fine, probably better than before :laughing: (was only the old dawes commuter).

4 winter 200s done. It’s basically all downhill from here, right?

Cycling’s weird, innit? The first 200 I did I felt pretty okay afterwards, but I feel terrible after yesterday. Is it winter? Or something?

Basically I think the shorter stem has fucked my riding position over longer distances. Might get an 80mm one.

It’ll be the cold, and fatigue in general. It can take more than a week to recover from a ride, even if you cycle regularly. Most training schedules will include for a ‘step-back’ week with a lighter load every three weeks or so.

did you mange this btw?

Hmm. I have some longer rides coming up and I really need to feel okay for them.

I am eating total shit at the moment as well. LIFE.

Nope. Forgot again.

Cycling is non-impact, so you can usually do long, slow rides without needing as much of a step back as, say running (where a taper period for a half marathon might be two weeks), but you don’t have to do a really long ride every week before an event.

There’s definitely a sweet spot that you have to find in training between building up load in advance of an event and allowing your body to recover in the run up to it.

tbh I think my issues are from not being comfortable on the bike, which probably has something to do with new bars / stem since everything being nicked. Long rides before then were fine. urgh.

Get a proper fit. If you’re churning out such big mileage it’s worth it

Maybe. I am going to see if I can make changes myself first. I have another longish ride at the weekend; if I’m still feeling shoddy after that I’ll book one in.

From what you posted on the group last night, you are categorically not eating enough or the right stuff to fuel long rides