Cycling Thread 2.0

Whatever a Rapha pro team jacket is think it’s soft shell

I have four cycling jackets:

Small packable Spesh. It was cheap, keeps out a shower but anything more means I get utterly soaked. Good as an extra layer if it’s windy but don’t use much now because…

Rapha Souplesse rain shell. Fucking amazing, breathable, waterproof. Doesn’t pack down very small but I can just about get it in a jersey pocket.

Also have a Hoy soft shell jacket. Winter riding only, is really very good and waterproof, but didn’t wear it much this season because I have a few long sleeved jerseys which are very warm and water repellent.

I also have an old dhb packable rain jacket which lives in the bottom of my work bag. It’s a bit big for me now, but is breathable and waterproof, quite amazing for the £30 or whatever it cost me.

1 castelli shell - useful for summer showers
1 Endura thing for full on weather

Full disclosure: I am in the market for a new jacket.

I was of the opinion that one jacket would be suitable for all occasions. This looks like a bit of a folly when they are designed for different purposes, which make them unsuitable some of the times.

I own one running jacket that I use from time to time on the bike but no specific cycling jackets. Would like to change that but what should I buy first? Where to start the collection?

Depends!

If you do lots of riding in the winter / rain, you’re going to need a decent jacket which keeps you warm and dry.

If you already have lots of warm winter gear, you might just want a packable shell.

If you don’t ride in rain, you might just want something windproof.

I also, ages ago, bought a pink Pro Viz jacket for commuting, but it was a massive sweatbag and I never wore it so it got sold on. I very rarely wear a jacket when commuting actually; it was raining this morning but the jersey I had on was fine, I just got a bit damp.

With that in mind, I would get a “shell” (/something packable) first. I really dislike wearing jackets. Much happier in a jersey.

details please

Do they still only send through non-veggie Haribo? I’ve tried asking them to switch, but to no avail.

1 Like

Gummy hearts, fried jelly eggs, gummy bears ect…

1 Like

mike got a decent light the other day from tredz and there were three (THREE) bags of haribo in the box!

1 Like

What did he get? light not haribo

Made with piggy gelatin and one of Europe’s most popular sweet brands

1 Like

I have two short-sleeved jerseys, a pair of bib shorts and a pair of touring shorts. That’s all my cycling wardrobe.

Cycling to work mainly so I’d want something waterproof for that. Can ignore winter stuff for the moment as we’ve just come through that shit

Yw.

1 Like

Moon Meteor Storm Pro. The top brightnesses are overkill, but it gives 5 hours on 850 lumen, or 11 hours on 400. I have the model “down” which gives roughly the same :slight_smile:

Decent life then.

Holy fuck, you should see my wardrobe!!!

Get a decent packable jacket. Also get some arm warmers.

1 Like

I’d say softshell thing you can wear all day when it’s raining that is semi breathable (gabba kind of thing) + packable cheapo bin bag jacket that you don’t want to wear but it might rain a bit later

1 Like

This photo was taken in Barnsley ASDA

Wonderful

2 Likes

Just saw a load of mavic cars and vans driving past my office (Leeds)

1 Like

Love it when cycling clothes get too big :blush: