Cycling Thread 2.0

It’s not really that much of a faff is it.

mate have you even read that article? you have to get in a queue to download maps then rename it something odd and all sorts! and make sure its less than 70mb for the 520. ridiculous.

I’ve done it. It’s fine. And you get a lot more mapping than a county. Granted it’s not all singing all dancing like the wahoo, but it’s fine.

Never had a problem with it. Did multiple back to back days over 200km with no problem with battery, or charging on the bike.

No, I’m not launching into my GPS computer rant again.

you had a better unit though, which had more space for maps and a better battery life which is why they cost more and are upper end units. the edge 520 has like 70mb for maps, which barely covers one county of the uk, and is why i got fed up of loading new maps on it every time i cycled anywhere other than kent.

yes I know you weren’t specifically talking about this unit

this is the bit which makes it a fucking pain in the arse on the mid/lower-end garmins:

Now, the Edge 520 is slightly different than all other Garmin units. The reason being that the other units have a micro-SD card slot that you stick the maps on, whereas the Edge 520 doesn’t. Instead it has internal storage (105MB total,~49MB free on a default unit). What you’ll be doing is replacing the ‘Global Basemap’ with one local to your area of riding that’s far more detailed. Note however that you’ve only got about 98MB of space to play with once you remove the 49MB default basemap file. And of course you want to leave some space for your actual activity files, Strava segments, courses, and workouts (all of which are tiny, a few megabytes in total). Simple math is 100KB (.1MB) per hour of GPS activity files.

i stand by my comment when it crashed every single time i went through the same roundabout on my commute

IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD

i’ve just had a look and the better garmins are still so spendy compared to the equivalent wahoo

This is really something I’m totally meh about. Id you need a GPS computer to direct you home, shower you a tuck you in at night, that’s fine. If you don’t, that’s fine.

Reckon I won’t bother with one if I ever ride again.

I’ll hold you to this.

That’s fine. You need one for navigation, I don’t, each to their own.

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE STRAVAS?

I’ve never owned one but everything I ever read about Garmins seems to make me itch. Just sound like the crapest dinousaur tech company ever

Wahoo 4 eva

2 Likes

Just get a cheap GPS watch then.

No thank you.

this whole discussion came about cos dots wanted advice about the cheapest gps unit with mapping features and navigational abilities. a garmin doesn’t fit his needs cos the ones that do that are all spendy. 29 asked about mapping specifically for the edge 520, which is a piece of shit. so: SHOVE IT RICHARD.

i’m very bored, 31 minutes to go

Who’s RICHARD?

Cheers!

So a Wahoo is probably best. Any big differences between the models?

guys I don’t have time to read the above - but is there anything cheap that will do navigation?

Or should I just use Google Maps on my phone? My touring bike has a dynamo hub so battery shouldn’t be an issue.

Ordnance Survey map