Cycling Thread 2.0

They sound absolutely fucking HORRIFIC

if you do it make sure you get a bike you can fit a rack to - that the big deliveroo box can sit on

riding around with that massive box rucksack on looks proper awfuk

1 Like

will the Btwin Triban fit a rack? @plasticniki

you can fit a rack to the Triban 3

the Ultra 700 AF I linked to upthread has now had an extra £50 taken off it (I assume to clear stock) making it £550 for 105, decent wheels and universal amazing reviews. i am not sure it is enough of an upgrade for me though argh.

Looks like it involves quite a bit of sitting around outside, which I imagine you don’t get paid for.

Anything is an upgrade on your Triban (huge safetywink). What would be an enough of an upgrade then?

Aaaaahhhh… I was planning on getting a 520 and now this has put the 700 just above the threshold I was willing to pay…

I’m guessing it’s just for the odd clearance sizes they have left

No idea. Keep flip-flopping between wanting spend thousands on something (not really possible atm given flat purchase) and thinking that if I buy this, in a year I’ll want something different (be it carbon / an adventure monster / something else), when in reality, I hope I won’t. Mr pn is very “GET A BETTER BRAND” and I don’t really buy into that. Not sure I can get a better deal anywhere, and 105 seems the sweet spot between value and performance.

I would really like to upgrade the groupset on my shit bike, but it would only be to Tiagra, and then I’m still left with a slightly shit frame and tiny wheels, so I’d be spending £300 on that when an extra £250 would get me a much better overall machine.

Not sure there are the right holes for mudguards on the 700 if that makes a difference to you. Plus as @japes says, there are only small sizes left.

Totally understand where plasticmike is coming from there. I think the spending more option is the better one as you will want to upgrade anything you end up buying (it’s natural, we’re never happy with our bikes). Ultimately, do what seems right for you

1 Like

STRAVA MOAN

when I’m using my watch to record a ride the final distance on strava gets all fucked up if I paused it (like if you’re on a train or a ferry for a bit) it includes the paused distance in the final total. it’s definitely a strava problem because garmin works out the distance as it should and it always worked fine when I’m using my edge to record rides.

I went through strava support asking what I did wrong / how I fix it and after a week of fucking about they’ve told me that it’s just fucked and will do the same thing every time. brilliant.

there’s so many annoying wee things with strava that I wish they’d just fix but they don’t seem to give a fuck. shame because it’s probably too popular now for everyone to move to a different service even if a superior one came along.

do you mean if you used your edge 25 or whatever it wouldn’t do it? it’s just the watch + strava which is fucking shit up?

i recently paused my garmin and went on a train and it didn’t include it in the total – but yeah, i agree about Strava being so popular now. i personally don’t like the way that it analyses the garmin data independently of anything so you average speed is usually lower than your garmin said it was :frowning:

i love my garmin but if it broke i might try one of those wahoo things

yes

Yeah Strava app just doesn’t recognise activity pauses as it’s always tracking gps. Only workaround is to have individual activities per stage of the journey which would be a massive faff.

Shame that you can crop activities, but you can’t chop bits out the middle (though that would probably send it crazy).

Watch app’s only really good for a continuous activity or a simple coffee stop

You have to split it into two sessions on your watch, I think.

Conversely, Strava discards the time that you’re stationary too (eg waiting at traffic lights), which usually results in a faster overall speed than if you use a watch that doesn’t account for this.

DC Rainmaker is really knowledgeable with things like this, so maybe have a read of the website and see if they have a work around? Sorry I can’t be of any help

Just been looking at some video stills from my mate Ollie who’s in Adelaide for a few months.

Seems he’s been keeping good company…

3 Likes

Disappointed Sagz isn’t starting the season hairy again.

Velogames.com League anyone?