Cycling Thread 3.0

My old one Apex Cycles in Clapham. Got them to replace my back wheel after a motorist (fortunately slowly) drove into the back of me in traffic. Whole rear hub came loose within a week of having the work done - they had no interest in fixing it :unamused:

Decathlon are shit aren’t they. Tbf loads of places I’ve taken bikes have been a bit shit. Luckily my proper five minutes away lbs is great.

Pcbe :kissing_heart:

Untrue

My “funny make” he probably means “not Shimano”

Shit bike shop though

1 Like

The words in this post are perf :ok_hand:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSaPe9lEqP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=o5umia2535c7

There’s one old guy in Sheffield who’s great, really knows his stuff and talks you through everything. The rest of them are clueless

There’s loads of new gcn presenters and most of them are really bad so now I only watch when it’s Simon and Dan Lloyd or Emma and that’s a shame :confused:

Actually there’s another one who isn’t completely awful but I’m still not sure on him

Haven’t watched in ages. It’s been shit for a long time

this

ever since they couldn’t be arsed to show our “welcome to the GCN show” but showed cg’s instead

FUCK THEM

Irked

2 Likes

yes

Not a huge fan of the red but don’t really care as it is more about the comfort so I would really appreciate the saddle :heart: (at least to try, I can always return it if I don’t get on with it). The stem would be handy too, not sure what I have at the moment as I wasn’t sure how much of it to measure? Tbh I am thinking the 60mm is probably more likely to be the better fit for me.

I can come and collect them if postage would get a bit much for the size/weight? Got some other things I could do on the price of my travel card to get value out of my trip :+1:

That makes a lot of sense, everything is so stop start riding around town, and then where about two thirds of the routes I have been doing are on cycle paths you can’t really get a steady higher pace going because of a variety of hazards. Good for learning stop/starting and getting better at handling though. Think I will probably max out around 15km/h for solo town riding.

Going to have a good look over the maps and work out an out of town ride to try soon, which I imagine will feel quite liberating as there isn’t really a pedestrian route out of here so cycling beyond the edge of Basildon will feel pretty good :grinning:

also have a look at ride with gps and do a search of routes near wherever you live

as for the stems: the length is how long it is (60mm). the other measurement is the diameter of the “clamp” where it attaches to handlebars. they’re all pretty much 31.8mm these days. so for this you have to know the diameter of yr bars. pretty sure they’re 31.8mm.

i’ll package up everything this week :+1:

1 Like

yep, i’m right:

Red T3 Stem | B'TWIN Road Bike Owners Club says:

Clamp sizes (all frames):
Size to steerer tube (from the forks) 1 1/8th inch
Size to handlebars 31.8mm (sometimes described as ‘oversize’)

1 Like

Is the length the entire stem or excluding where it attaches?

Just had a quick search on ride with GPS, a couple of promising routes already, thanks for the tip! I might need a bit of climbing practice before tackling The Crown though (biggest local hill, always had to trudge up it at primary school to the church at the top for a carol service at Christmas so it holds a place of fear in my mind).

Anyway, THANK YOU! You are properly amazing Niki :slight_smile:

i’m not sure really. b’twin own brand ones have the length printed on them, like this:

(i think it’s the entire length)

one thing to mention; shortening your reach (stem) can make the bike feel twitchy and possibly indicates that it may be too big for you. when i had a 60mm stem on i got some hand pain and it turned out i need to go the other way.

1 Like

they’re usually measured centre of steerer tube to centre of handlebar

2 Likes

@anon89873996, as are handlebars. Seatposts are measured from the inside of the post, not the outside.

1 Like