Cycling Thread 3.0

It’s B for me, Clive. Not a fan of C.

1 Like

Hello fellow cyclists. Not posted in one of these before, but I’ve got a bike-related problem and perhaps someone here might be able to offer me some advice. Anyone got any experience with cracked frames and getting them replaced under warranty? I’ve got a Marin which I’m currently trying to get replaced, and they’ve basically said it’ll take a long time for them to source a frame, so they’ve offered me a replacement bike at a 20% discount. Pretty sure they’re taking the piss there, especially as the equivalent model to what I have isn’t available for 4-6 months apparently. Not really sure how to proceed from here. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A couple of friends of mine have recently have had frames for free replaced due to cracks: one’s a Giant, the other an Orro. Both relatively new, and we were all surprised that both companies just outright replaced them :woman_shrugging:

Depends on a lot of things probably; how did the crack happen? How old’s the frameset?

i’d tell them to shove that. how did you buy it? can you get the bike shop involved?

Thanks for replying – frame is about 3 1/2 years old. The crack is just before the weld where the seat tube meets the top tube. It’s happened through general wear and tear. Saddle height isn’t particularly high and doesn’t exceed the max recommendation.

well they’ve just sent me another £180 voucher, so :woman_shrugging:

Shop I bought it from went out of business, so I’ve been dealing with Marin directly

I know it sucks but 3 1/2 years is quite a long way out of warranty - do Marin have any specific stuff about having longer warranties?

1 Like

‘Lifetime’ warranty. They’ve agreed to replace it free of charge, but looks as though I’ll have to pay someone to rebuild it

three and a half years is a fair bit like so idk

could see if they can offer you a reduced price on a new frameset and swap all your old bits over, rather than a new bike? might be cheaper than a new bike and quicker than them trying to find the right frame

good luck with it

Cheers!

“lifetime” warranty is something like “reasonable lifetime of the component” so is incredibly vague

I guess it’s up to you how arsed you can be to argue the toss with them for a better deal than that

I’m up for a bit of a fight, definitely. We’ll see how it goes. Cheers

that’s as good an offer as youll get tbf. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@Matt_was_taken what’s the story with your cracked seat tube?

I’ve barely touched my mountain bike since getting my gravel bike! I love my gravel bike so much. I think if I was doing gnarly technical bits of off roading I would want a mountain bike but if you’re bikepacking and want to go long distances then the gravel bike would be a much better bet, especially if you’re riding over long ‘semi-tame’ bits like bridleways, national cycle routes etc.

1 Like

Haven’t had time to take it to the shop yet - I’ve spoken with them - they said bring it in and they’ll start processing it.

But with Easter n work and stuff, this Saturday will be the day I take it in. Not too sure what to do though - its got new tyres, saddle, front rack, lights, bell, bottle cages, GPS mount etc… not sure if they’ll keep the bike or just look at it or what :man_shrugging:

will have to wait and see :cold_sweat:

nice! yeah this is what i figured. reckon even if i’m going out deep in the hills, it’s still going to be long distances of bridleway-ish road with very short sections of difficult stuff, so the gravel bike is probably the way to go

1 Like

will you NC500 on it?

yep

reckon i might wales on it

(might have ordered it :grimacing: )

4 Likes