Cycling Thread 3.0

There’s some amazing cycling from Dingwall to Bonar Bridge, west of the A9. Great climbing descending around there

1 Like

imagine it’s pretty good apart from the A9

1 Like

Thursday

black it is then

may as well just buy some more pro4 endurance tbh

Never driven much up there let alone cycled, sorry. I also think the west coast would be great fun. Plenty of wee quiet roads and fun climbing, I reckon. I’m hoping for a whirl round Kintrye when the rona restrictions are over.

Achieved my forever cycling goal today: a non-stop lap of my home island in under 3 hours. Might leave the bike in the shed for the rest of the year now; I’ve probably peaked :rofl:

17 Likes

Fuuuuuuuuu

1 Like

My mate had to do this on the Etape. He reckons it saved him from the broom wagon (he was in a bad way before and emerged a new man)!

I’m 1/3rd of the way into Zwift 4 week FTP booster. It’s addictive and I can feel myself getting stronger, but I dunno how much I like Zwift. Are there any of these apps that are better for social riding with your pals?
I.e.

Easy to meet up (without having to create a “Meetup”)
Able to voice chat?
Less jerks on the road?

Trainerroad has proper integrated group rides… You give your mates a code then they join your workout. You can see and hear them, and see their power and heart rate. Not sure this is the best photo but you might get an idea from this:

It’s great. We chat during the vallies and then put our music in during the intervals. I do it every morning with the same pals and I love it.

2 Likes

Ah, that looks great. Think I have a free month pass that came with the turbo too :eyes:

these are £15 today

did we conclude i should just go with the black ones?

• black
  • tan / brown

0 voters

So I’m still doing my workouts, onto sufferfest now. The structure is much better than Zwift i think.

But I wouldn’t say i’m exactly suffering… I’ve done 3 or 4 workouts so far and apart from the FTP test they’ve all been pretty comfortable. I’d say I push myself far harder when i’m just riding on my own trying to beat my own strava PBs or whatever.

Bit of a juxtaposition when the video text is all like ‘Come on!! smash it!!! this is gonna be Pain Centrallllllllllll!!!’ and i’m spinning away at 150w checking my phone with my arms folded. Will see if it gets tougher as the weeks progress (the zwift one never really did).

Conclusion - either i am bloody amazing at workouts, or really shite at FTP tests :thinking:

:smiley:

I think judging a 20 minute effort for an FTP is quite hard… All my TR workouts have been pretty okay for the past couple of weeks, and I can feel myself finding them a bit easier than I did initially, and my average power (probably a lie cos I’m using virtual watts on a dumb trainer) has been consistently better than with The Sufferfest which I found quite tough.

In conclusion: dunno. I do find that I am able to go really quite hard on the road on a sub 40km ride, with my average heart rate being a bit higher than what I’d hold on Trainerroad sometimes. All I know is that my cycling fitness is improving significantly during lockdown. I just hope I get to actually put it to some use this year?

1 Like

this one: “all purpose road”. sounds really boring :smiley:

1 Like

SIGN ME UP!

They have great names. I liked “It seemed like a good idea at the time” or whatever it was

1 Like

can you bump your watts? on all the training software i’ve used you can add 5% or whatever if you feel like it

just do that until you struggle

The workouts I found hardest in Zwift’s FTP builder plan were the ones with cadence drills as well. The intervals themselves were fine from a power POV, but spinning at 95rpm kills me compared to an easy 70rpm borderline grind. I did a sweet spot workout on Zwift yesterday, and that one was genuinely hard work:

sst .

this is easy for me

1 Like