Cycling Thread 3.0

Advice requested please.

I took my bike into the local bike shop for a service last week. I’d been missing a few gear changes, but other than that it was OK, just needing some TLC.

They changed the chain and front chain rings. I then took it out for a decent ride yesterday and the gears were all over the place. Missing changes, slipping whilst in gear, and once rather alarmingly when I was in the middle of traffic in Croydon the pedals locked up on a gear change.

Obviously I’m going to take it back and ask them to “take another look”, but anyone any ideas what might be the problem so I can call bullshit if they just tell me I now need a new cassette as well?

sounds like they’ve just done a shit job to me. really, if they’re putting new chainrings and a chain on, they probably need to change the cassette too. really bad that they’d do some work on a bike and not even test that it rides okay.

where’d you take it? finches?

1 Like

bit weird that they would replace the chain and chainrings without changing the cassette tbh

2 Likes

Canal m9. Chuck it in the canal

2 Likes

Yeah it was Finches. Sad really, because they did a cracking job the last time I got it serviced there.

:frowning:

I’ve had quite mixed experiences of them. Pretty rubbish they’d leave a bike like that.

I really rate Comptons in Catford. GBOL.

Thanks all. Useful to know that I should expect to eat it with a new cassette. I guess at that point they wouldn’t really have a leg to stand on if it’s not working fine.

Plus it’s too hot to ride into work and I fear my tennis elbow might put me off the bike for the summer anyway :frowning:

simply not true

Yeah it is. The logistics of having to shower when I get in just don’t work. I need to be able to get in sweat-free. But the main problem is my arm, so everything else is a bit of a side issue.

1 Like

so many excuses (fair enough about the arm)

just checked my Strava and I’ve just passed the 7000km mark for the year :sunglasses:

Also Ultra As Fuck is now on 10,322km :sunglasses:

rode my bike for the 4th time this year yesterday :upside_down_face:

1 Like

funny thing is tho, you’ll be quicker than me at Sheffield Meat II: The Bloodening

I’ve cycled more miles than you and @rich-t combined then :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m quite depressed about it to be honest. I decided to go out for (what for me was) a longish run yesterday, out to Grove Park, Bromley then down to Hayes, Addington, Croydon, Crystal Palace and then home, about 20 miles with a couple of unpleasant climbs in the middle. Apart from getting a bit lost and very hot and thirsty it felt like a good new Sunday exercise for me, but not to put too fine a point on it my right arm is agony while I’m riding (strangely not so when I’m climbing, but always on the flat). The advice on the NHS website seems pretty unequivocal: stop doing whatever it is that makes your arm hurt, which is a lot of things, but certainly riding my bike.

So no sooner do I get back into my biking habit than I have to ditch it again.

did some bike rides in majorca (not on my bike) and a bit of indoor bike whenever i could. but wouldn’t be surprised if you have.
probably hiked further this year than i ever have though… :man_shrugging:

@plasticniki doubt it

Definitely on the descents (the only important part of a bike ride)

1 Like

Oh maybe not then. I’ve done about a 1000 miles

you definitely have then.

probably twice as much as me?

Hello cyclists!

I’m going to be doing a bike ride in this sunny weather. I’d like a bag that lets me put water in it, with one of those tubes for easy drinking access, and also hold bits like a spare inner tube. I’d like it to be fairly small, for minimal back sweat, and also not be stupidly expensive. Any recommendations? Thanks