Cycling Thread 4.0 (Part 1)

But no:
Tax
Insurance
Yearly MOT
Fuel costs
Parking costs
And infinitely more fun :person_shrugging:

I sort of know this chap who gives a great case for ditching the car in favour of a cargo bike: https://youtu.be/CRUXhYcFWUk

Not sure about the second hand market for cargo bikes tbh. I think people tend to hold onto them so theyā€™re not as readily available as regular bikes on a second hand market.

Might be worth popping along to this if thereā€™s one held before you leave London: Lewisham Family Cycling Library ā€“ Climate Action Lewisham

2 Likes

O rly?

I probably donā€™t mean fixie, just single speed. Dunno, in my head just seems like less to go wrong.

Yeah, just wasnā€™t expecting it to be so much outlay.

Other option is to get a normal bike and stick seats on the front and back for kids, not sure what age thatā€™s viable for though.

We have a cargo bike but a long tail version (Tern GSD) not a bakfiets type. Itā€™s our ā€˜second carā€™ and Iā€™ve never regretted selling mine. As Niki points out the running costs are much less. Ours was 5k, minus tax from the bike to work scheme, and spread over 2 years.

I love it. It easily replaces 95% of our journeys.its actually easier to cycle through our town and park right outside a shop than driver round the one-way, find a space, then walk from the space to the shop etcā€¦ great for takeaway pickup.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be so worried about a cargo bike getting nicked. Would love one tho.

1 Like

I am 10000% going to get a very expensive cargo bike as soon as we have space to store it and Iā€™m probably more excited about that than any other other bike purchase ever.

Think kids are able to sit in seats as soon as theyā€™re able to support their heads, about a year?

Spend Ā£4k on a Tern GSD they are really really great

2 Likes

Aye he just bought a single speed slightly upthread, but think heā€™s still scared of being in the cycling thread

Oh and if youā€™re still London based, LFGSS is your best bet for second hand single speeds Classifieds | LFGSS

@Epimer tell me about your single speed adventures, itā€™s okay I donā€™t give a shit about bikes either

1 Like

Ok one thing that does get forgotten about expensive (cargo) bikes. Insurance. Weā€™re lucky to have a spacious brick garage but itā€™s a separate outbuilding and no bike over Ā£1k is covered by house insurance.the cargo bike then costs Ā£20 a month alone to insure. And some insurers insist on it being locked up in your garage too.

When are out we have a gold standard chain lock, and a cafe lock on the front wheel.

But despite that, still massively cheaper than a car. I just gasp when someone tells me the cost of 4 new tyres. Thatā€™s like 2 years worth of cargo bike maintenance right there.

1 Like

This is going to be a lot more of a process than I anticipated, Iā€™d probably better get back into the idea of cycling myself before I start throwing thousands of pounds and my kidā€™s lives into it, huh? :grimacing:

I think the usual min age is 9 months for a kids bike seat, though on a bakfiets bike you could just put them in the front box with a car seat from an earlier age.

This is whatā€™s getting me, all over Cambridge they were just sat in front of peopleā€™s houses! (Although, my car is parked on the street right now, so maybe I shouldnā€™t be shocked).

This is nextdoor to the place weā€™re hoping to buy

LFGSS has a budget option too (Ā£100)

That one wonā€™t cost as much. It doesnā€™t look like it has a motor. If you live somewhere flat and are just going to the shops/park you can get away with that.

But it does highlight what little cycle storage there is if you live in neighbourhoods like this. Yet each of those houses will be allowed 2 parking permits.

I got this stunner for Ā£300

https://www.statebicycle.co.uk/collections/core-line/products/rigby-core-line

I like it. There was a Decathlon one for Ā£250 that seemed fine but it doesnā€™t exist on their webpage any more so maybe itā€™s gone now.

I know youā€™re now thinking ā€œĀ£300 ffs, I donā€™t need to spend that muchā€ and youā€™re right, you donā€™t! But my Carrera road bike was (supposed to be; ended up getting a double discount for reasons) Ā£300 and it is a complete heap of shit in comparison to my new single speed. You get more for your money because itā€™s simpler, I guess.

So I dunno, I reckon either pay Ā£300 for a nice one or find the cheapest thing on gumtree or whatever that isnā€™t completely rust. The in between stuff is frustrating false economy if you want something that isnā€™t annoying and works properly. Imo. Donā€™t really know anything about bikes though, donā€™t really like them tbqfh.

1 Like

Eh theyā€™re just lazy I think, thereā€™s space behind the little wall to put it, plus access via the rear to put it in their garden if they want it out of sight (and parking is a free for all on the street)

I couldnā€™t tell for sure but I assumed there was a basement window behind that wall, donā€™t know why.

They always allocate more permits than parking spacesā€¦