Cycling Thread 4.0 (Part 1)

Nah, completely unrelated to cycling (sorry)

2 Likes

this explains it better than I could.

https://www.mayacycle.com/29er#:~:text=Many%20commuters%20have%20been%20rolling,to%20accommodate%20a%20thinner%20tire.&text=Mountain%20bike%20tires%20are%20much,between%201.8%20to%202.4%20inches.

but looking at the wolverine specs it fits a 700 x 45c - which sounds fat enough :confused:

you tried getting in touch with either soma or rohloff just to double check?

edit: its not so much the wheel - that will fit, but what tyre you choose will have to fit the wheel and frame

1 Like

Itā€™s because mountain bikes uses inches (americans) whilst road bikes use metric (Europeans)

1 Like

Although I think 29ā€ refers to the rough diameter of a wheel with a tyre, whilst 700cc is the diameter of the wheel with no tyre

1 Like

But yes the wheel will fit - edit the rim will fit, no idea on the hub

700c is still a measurement of the outside wheel diameter with a tyreā€¦ a 700c rim is really 622mm in diameter :cowboy_hat_face:

bike wheel nomenclature makes no sense

Oh wow really :grinning:. I did say ā€œI thinkā€

yeah, the ETRTO sizing makes more sense, where a tyre is XX-YYY, where XX is the tyre cross section and YYY is the rim diameter

so a 700x28 road tyre is 28-622 and a 2.25" 29er tyre is 57-622

itā€™s clear there that they both fit on a 622mm rim.

is this the most exciting post any of you have read today? i bet it is

4 Likes

Sure is buddy :grinning:

1 Like

This is actually make sense, thanks. So a ā€œ29erā€ wheel with a small enough tyre would fit. It says it can take a 700x45 with fenders so presumably bigger than that without

From the FAQ part of their website:

1) Follow our official max tire guidelines which is 700c x 45mm with fenders and 29 x 1.95 without fenders.

yeah, sounds like it. the only other thing to be aware of is you donā€™t want to fit a narrow tyre on a really wide rim. so a mtb wheel (a 29er) will probably be designed to fit a big tyre so will have a wide rim and a road bike wheel (a 700c) will be narrower. Thereā€™s quite a big overlap of what you can get away with, but just check youā€™re not trying to fit tiny tyres on massive rims or vice versa

Oh yeah Iā€™ll be fitting as big a tyre as I can fit in the frame/fork. Probably whatever 700c x 45mm translates to in 29er size or bigger if I go without guards

Although on their website it says this, so maybe not quite as big as will fit:

Why is using too big a tire a possible problem?
a) To fit a fatter tire than recommended requires user to slide the insert to the rear of the dropout. Sliding the insert to the very rear creates extra leverage on the dropout and the frame versus having it in the center or front of the slot.
b) Using fatter tires makes the rider think he/she can ride more aggressively than the frame tubing is designed for. The Wolverine is not an XC/trail bike.

29er size is about 5 foot 9.

Had the worst ride today. Got to the top of my climb and felt a sudden searing pain in my forehead. Was certain Iā€™d overdone it and was having an aneurysm and was bound to be a ā€œ40 something lycra clad make found dead by side of roadā€ local newspaper headline. Turns out Iā€™d been stung by a bee.

Came back down a really nice bit of forestry gravel where I was chased by a massive dog who then threw himself in front of me. Went right over the handlebars and fell very heavily. My chain totally fucked itself in the crash and I had to stop trying to fix it to fend off the dog who was still intent on taking chunks out of me (his owners claimed he wouldnā€™t hurt me but heā€™d already hurt me soā€¦) made it home a lot worse for wear. Stupid hobby.

7 Likes

sorry but the first bit made me laugh

1 Like

DiS, help me decide what to do with my single speed. It was on loan to someone in the club. Itā€™s back with me, but I donā€™t really need it. Or do I?

Iā€™m not commuting at the moment. Just before lockdown I started commuting on the Triban instead, as I was having back issues - the Triban has mounts for racks etc allowing me to get the weight off my back. I did have a slight concern about security, as I had to leave it in a public car park, but work have now introduced secure bike parking, so if Iā€™m ever needed in the office thatā€™s no longer a concern.

However, the single speed is just so fun to ride. Itā€™s so nippy. I love riding it. I could potentially add a Wald-style basket to the front if I ever needed to carry a load on it, but it doesnā€™t have mounts for proper racks or guards, though I have some clip on guards which have been on it for years, and theyā€™re fine. The other thing is it needs a bit of attention. Itā€™s also pretty ratty so I can leave it anywhere without much issue, which is very handy. I worry about the Triban if I ever leave it anywhere.

So yeah. I guess, so I get rid of it (probably donate to a local bike charity) or give it the attention it deserves?

1 Like

Gotta love a ratty single-speed. Perfect for pub and shops or just canal (riding along, not depositing in). Iā€™d love one for around town.

3 Likes

My single speed got a refresh recently (newdrivetrain etc) - although Iā€™ve noticed I need to do some sanding and repainting of the frame

Keep it as your pub bike! Itā€™s good to have a bike you donā€™t need to worry about locking up too much - although I would actually be gutted if my bike did get nicked as Iā€™ve had it so long and rides so well

1 Like

Mates you know how far pniks lives from a very good pub

2 Likes