Cycling Thread 4.0

Map and compass it is

3 Likes

Haha I’ve done a hard reset which seems to have worked

You know when you see a clip from a cyclocross race where it’s so muddy, they have to crawl up a slope?

I had one of those moments this morning. Hopped off to give it a bit of hike-a-bike and my feet went straight from under me and I ended up eating dirt. Tremendous.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, could someone recommend a bike wall dock? I need to store my bf’s manky mountain bike in a more efficient way rather than it clogging up the kitchen. I was thinking one of the ones where the bike is vertical against the wall. Are they all kind of fine or is there a specific type I should keep an eye out for? Thank you!

1 Like

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/1-bike-wall-and-ceiling-rack/_/R-p-313305?mc=8576774

You might want to put something on the wall to protect it from the grime from the tyres. You can get fancier types but you’ll have to double check sure they’re wide enough for MTB tyres.

1 Like

Getting irked by someone, who I suspect is on an e-bike, that keeps one-upping me for a KOM on Strava.

2 Likes

First proper crash in three years

1 Like

Oh dear. Hope you’re ok! (and the bike!)

What happened?

2 Likes

Just fished the GT85 out to spray on a stiff wheel of the buggy. My god, that smell :heart:

After 7 trusty years my Triban 500SE I paid £300 for is on the cusp of giving up the ghost. Looking online, am I right that there isn’t really anything comparable in that price range anymore? I need it for a 20km commute, zipping around London, occasional 2 hour jaunts and even more occasional full day rides.

Tempted by the Triban RC 520, but Decathlon aren’t on my cycle to work scheme. Are there other good comparable brands at that price level?

What’s wrong with it? Might be cheaper to source the bits that need replacing rather than getting a whole new bike right now.

IIRC that model of Triban is an 8 speed bike so getting new (or even second hand) 8 speed bits to replace old worn out ones won’t be that spendy. Unless there’s something catastrophically wrong with the frame, or your riding habits have changed so the bike no longer suits, I’d keep it going for as long as you can.

Do you prefer cycling alone or with a group? I did a 90k yesterday with a couple of mates. It’s the furthest I’ve ridden in my life. After halfway I was pooped and couldn’t keep up with them. I spent the rest of the morning cycling a few hundred yards behind them. Every so often they would stop and let me catch-up, and then shoot off ahead again. Not gonna lie, I found it a bit grim at times.

On the other hand, I’d be nervous about a long ride on my own. I like safety in numbers and having some support in case of crashes, flat tires etc etc. Plus the social aspect, although yesterday I think my mates had to get back for Sunday lunch so there weren’t any lazy coffee breaks which are my favourite bit!

1 Like

It really depends. I used to love cycling on my own - the peace and quiet of it all and a chance to think, but now I’m not so keen on thinking and prefer to have a distraction. However, the lads I go out with are super-fast-boys (or wannabe) and so I always feel like I’m letting the side down. This only applies to gravel - when I’m out mountain biking there’s a much more inclusive vibe.

The one time I turned up to a Rapha road ride though with my gravel and flat plastic pedals, I kept up no bother - helped that it was a fairly rolling route.

Hills are my downfall. I can do them, but I’m very slow.

1 Like

Hills my downfall too. When I was teenager with a road bike I used to love them. I was very lanky so felt like I was built for climbing, but those days seem to be long gone.

1 Like

I really like them, I’m just slow. Much prefer to coast up them at a slow pace than try and attack for the sake of it.

1 Like

Did my first ever ride with lights yesterday. Took some arranging to find room for the front one on my heavily loaded handlebars but managed it in the end. Was still daytime so I was using them just because it was a bit murky and rainy, hence I don’t know how good the front light will actually be for riding in proper dark. Might find out in the next couple of months I guess.

Regardless though it didn’t stop an SUV driver attempting to reverse into me while we were stopped at a junction, presumably he was trying to park, fuck knows. Still another life first there: the first time anyone’s ever called me “grandad”.

1 Like

Only ever been out on my own.

Wouldn’t mind going out for a ride with a couple of mates or whatever and happy to ride along with some randomer for a little bit and have a chat, etc but not sure I really fancy a proper group ride.

Thought a few times about trying one - even just the commuter breakfast ride into town on a Wednesday morning - but I dunno, think I’m just too anti social for it.

1 Like

Yeah nothing about group riding really appeals to me at all, apart from perhaps having someone who could help me fix my bike if it broke.

2 Likes

really would like to ride with some of you fine dissers one day

3 Likes

A big DIS ride some day sounds good.

1 Like