Cycling Thread 4.0 (Part 1)

I live in Sydenham and agree with @plasticniki that it really isn’t that hilly. The steepest climb is up to Crystal Palace which I do occasionally but even then I do reps and I do them on a bog standard ridgeback commuter bike. The ride into central London can be pretty much flat although there are direct routes with a bit of climbing in.

Your main concern should probably be the state of the roads.

1 Like

One left in an XL of this slightly different model at a very good price, they’ve got a couple of shops round London. Most places won’t let you use c2w for sale bikes because they have to pay fees which takes a lot of their margin. I’d buy mudguards with it and get them to fit them because that’s a ballache of a job.

@Matt_was_taken might be able to say if Genesis XL is suitable for the very tall.

Managed 30 minutes at just over 50% intensity today, so I have officially progressed to managing a long rest interval :sweat_smile: Nevertheless, I think progress is going well. It’s not even been two weeks yet and I really really miss cycling :frowning:

3 Likes

Never sat on a genesis so of no real help :frowning:

Would deffo recommend sitting on them before committing as the guides/measurements only tell part of the story.

Some sizing can be cured/aided with a longer seat post or change of stem, which are relatively cheap parts.

It’s not just about your inseam - but your reach and being comfy in different positions etc

In a fit of madness I’ve signed up to the Isle of Man UCI Gran Fondo. 137km, 2300m elevation, 125km of which is on closed roads.

I might actually have to ‘train’ for this :confused:

8 Likes

Sounds great, I tend to think of 1000M elevation per 100km as average for the UK so 2300 over 137 should be a workout :slight_smile: closed roads will be lovely. Enjoy and look forward to reading your write up of the event.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’ve also FINALLY become a clipped in wanker. Three days on the trot I’ve commuted into work. Almost wobbled off this morning as I went over something and heard this almighty bang, and thought my tire had blown out - and then promptly forgot I was clipped in and started wobbling over, but managed to unclip just in time.

4 Likes

guys i’ve only ridden my bike once so far this year :confused: and not sure how i feel about it

1 Like

you’ve been getting super into working out more generally though haven’t you? also remember it’s january and shitttttt weather and cold and all the rest of it. i’ve done quite a bit but most of that has been pointless commutes.

i’m also struggling at the moment because i’ve tw: diet put on a bit of weight and i feel it’s really slowed me down on the bike, and made me a bit miserable.

1 Like

August 2017. Feel fine about it.

1 Like

Life changes, priorities change

3 Likes

My mate has a Ribble and I’m very envious, especially as I don’t like my Cannondale that much. And the titanium gravel bikes look particularly sexy. I will own my Cyclescheme bike in 4 years and maybe then I’ll look at upgrading to a Ribble, although I doubt I’ll be able to justify it as my bike is perfectly fine. I guess it depends on how much I could sell my old bike for versus the massive discount you get on a cycle scheme.

1 Like

I :two_hearts: my Ribble Ti gravel bike

(Just wish I could actually ride it at the moment)

5 Likes

soon come.

Dunno, it either doesn’t seem to be healing very well or I keep tweaking it. Going to the doc tomorrow as I don’t really know what to do at this stage

1 Like

good vibes and healing vibes your way pal.

1 Like

As it’s coming to me in Glasgow, I’m definitely planning to see some stuff at the World Championships. Presale is Friday, and I thought I should look at the schedule to work out what to book.

Discovered two deeply bizarre sports that are part of it:

Cycle ball

Artistic Cycling

The artistic is deeply bizarre but cycle ball looks fun!

6 Likes

Both are genuinely incredible on many levels.

Went to the synchronised swimming at the commonwealths in 2014 and it was great, and have always wanted to see some flatland BMX, so the artistic is definitely of interest.

Remember seeing cycle-ball on Transworld Sport way back in the day. Excellent, mad sport

2 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely. I’m not really thinking about riding much, and I’m not sat here wishing I could go for a ride, really, either.

I’ve joined to local leisure centre, am doing a ‘ladies who lift’ course, have been lifting weights as a result and doing stretching classes and strength and conditioning ones. And swimming! Don’t know who I am any more. But in the back of my head I know something is missing. I do miss fucking off for ~12 hours on an absurdly long ride, I know that much. It’s not really possible at the moment though.

3 Likes