Cycling Thread 4.0 (Part 1)

guys, don’t buy £35 Diadora winter cycling boots. they’ll fall apart.

you can see the tread coming away from the sole here:

that’s happened to literally every part of the shoe. they’re being held together with glue. time to buy some not-falling-apart ones i think

1 Like

You found a nice place to stop at least.

3 Likes

is it the norm that costas in petrol stations don’t do tea? had to have a terry’s chocolate orange hot chocolate. what a treat 200km into a 225km ride!

3 Likes

Shimano winter boots are extremely hard wearing in my experience

yep, pleased with my shimano shoes so i think i’ll get their boots too

2 Likes

a quick thing to check is that the wheel is fully seated in the dropouts. it’s really easy to have it slightly off and it can throw a bunch of stuff out. done it myself more than once.

failing that, hope the shop / BiL gets it sorted

3 Likes

I’ve got shimano, the elastic ankle… cuff(?) split fairly quickly but my mate had a newer model of the same and the cuff looks a bit tougher.

if you buy them at the end of the season they are LOADS cheaper. but completely useless until next winter.

Yeah, my BiL got it sorted fine. It was a combination of the newly installed back brake not being set up right ('cos I’d adjusted the old worn brakes so much) which made the wheel hard to get into the brakes and seat properly which got the mech and hanger all confused. Trivial for him!

And just to end the saga, when I went to get my bike out of his shed this morning, I turned the handle the wrong way and locked the shed. He’s at work and has the keys. Honestly, shoot me now :man_facepalming: :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

throw the shed in the canal

3 Likes

Think I need some thicker gloves. Fingers were fine, if a bit numb as I was going along. Stopped briefly after about 40 minutes and suddenly felt like they were going to drop off.

Any reasonably priced recommendations?

I have some Madison Avalanche gloves - really good and well-reviewed:

They’re about £20 if you shop around (I got mine for less than a tenner in a sale) - Freewheel has them listen as womens gloves (but they’re just gloves!!!) for some reason.

2 Likes

We seen the new Adidas cycling shoes?

Look nice, but pricey.

they look like sambas

As someone who wears copa mundial football boots to play football, I’m all in

won’t buy them of course

Yeah, I’m a copa/world cup man too

This is well skill

3 Likes

Fair enough. On that recommendation I’ve just bought a pair from Freewheel. And some chain degreaser*. Cos the gits wouldn’t let me collect from my LBS for some reason, and I wasn’t wanting to pay £5 for delivery of a £23 pair of gloves (and then, to add insult to injury, the degreaser was showing as available for click and collect).

*(it was that or the Genesis Flyer 2019 down to £450 that keeps haunting me with its turquoise temptations.)

Really on the verge of almost buying this

1 Like

:slight_smile: It’s an almost a weekly calling for me. Really not getting maximum utility out of my completely decent but aggravatingly two-tone grey CdF 20 (I know I’ve griped about this before, but y’know). Would swap it for a the 2019 Flyer and that yellow Brixton if it were as easy as clicking my (SOON TO BE SNUGLY GLOVED!) fingers. Feel like the Brixton would open the door to things like kid seats and trailers, etc - drops don’t really lend themselves to that sort of caper.

Really fancy having a BMX again, too. Miss my yellow Hoffmann. Mmmmm, yellow.