Cycling Thread 4.0 (Part 1)

London is so bad for this, isn’t it.

Heading out near rush hour is shocking sometimes. I can’t believe a) how many cars there are on the road, b) how people seem to be just fine with sitting in traffic, and c) how terrible some people are at driving.

Genuinely believe you shouldn’t be allowed to drive anywhere in a built up area if your journey is less than 3 miles if you’re able to walk, cycle, or take public transport. Fuck cars. So much.

2 Likes

I’d say most places in the country are worse for it than London. At least you have a bit of infrastructure there, and drivers who are at least aware of bikes. Most towns have deliveroo riders and nothing else knocking about post 7pm.

Horrid thinking about the consequences and that one of the major factors stopping me from going on my bike again, and that I’d probably take up MTB again when I do

Were any other Cycling Podcast listeners expecting to finish 2020 enjoying an interview with Timmy Mallett?

No but I follow him on Twitter he goes all over Europe on his bike. Seems like the ideal life. Good luck to him

What is The Mallet up to these days?

Rather drill my own ears out

Weirdly enough I probably feel safer on central london streets than I do on some of the roads as you get further out, perhaps that’s just because I’m much more familiar with them.

2 Likes

Central is okay.

Out here in Catford it’s okay but the congestion is horrific and cars aren’t as used to bikes as they are in central London.

Go further out, and there’s slightly less congestion but absolutely awful drivers.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Sure, and that’s probably what I was driving at. Not too sure where you are, except it’s probably London somewhere. But if I take here in Winchester where I am, there is no provision for cyclists, narrow roads all around town with barely any calming measures, rat runs everywhere and inadequate street lighting. Plus the only cyclists you’d see after the evening rush hour are delivery riders, so the local drivers are not expecting to see a bike rider.

Probably doesn’t help that since I became a dad, my outlook on things has changed. If I were still riding, it probably wouldn’t phase me, but having had 3+yrs off my bike, the idea of riding on the road now actually frightens me.

Yeah I’m happy enough riding round Brighton, it’s cars on 60 limit roads that shit me up. I don’t know if the driving is getting worse or I’m just more sensitive to it these days but I’m doing less and less road riding these days.

1 Like

He cycles about and paints :man_artist:t2:

He’s been all over this country but also e.g. cycled to Santiago de Compostela

Hello, I’m cautiously thinking about dipping my toe into getting a bike (haven’t ridden one since I was a teenager…) and I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for a road bike that’s around the £200 mark?

2. I’m a bit freaked by riding it around London for now, given it’s been so long since I even sat on one, so was primarily going to keep it at my parents house and use it whenever I visit them because it’s much more rural. But… is it that bad? Are there any tips or even courses?

1 Like

Scrolled up slightly to immediately see everyone discussing this and how terrifying it can be, oh no :grimacing:

I would imagine people will tell you that you can’t get a decent bike for £200 these days, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

£200 is going to land you something second hand. What sort of riding to you anticipate doing? (Do you need something to take you off roads?)

Before I started riding, Lewisham Council sent an awesome cycle instructor out to me to show me how to ride around urban areas in traffic. It was the most valuable hour I have ever had on a bike. Not sure if local councils are doing this sort of thing at the moment but if they are, you should take advantage of it. It’s largely about confidence. If you’re south of the river I am more than happy to go out with you locally to give you some confidence after Christmas if that helps?

2 Likes

There’s a lovely interview with him here, too:

It would just be for standard 30 minute commutes from A to B (mainly to get south of the river, which I really miss since moving to Hackney).

Assumed a second hand one might be the best bet at that price point, but saw some entry level ones on Halfords around that which I thought might just do the job for what I want

1 Like

JOIN US. I have nothing useful to add will leave that to the experts but JOIN US.

2 Likes

They would do the job, but they’d probably be horrible to ride and have cheap parts which would fail quicker than other bikes.

LFGSS is a decent place to start looking for bikes. Alternatively, if you’re a short-arse (around 5’4"), you can borrow my single speed indefinitely…

1 Like

This would have been a LFGSS bargain if it’s still available: