Cycling Thread 4.0 (Part 1)

If the Hope is a Vision one - you could get some eneloop AA rechargable batteries and charger (the panasonic black ones are the most powerful), they hold a charge much better than standard rechargables and keep going for ages. I used to have two sets and swap them out as necessary. I just use the light for dog walking now as I’ve gone full dynamo on all bikes. Appreciate that batteries are a faff but they are good lights and might be cheaper than a new one.

1 Like

So my wife was after a Trek Marlin 7. She narrowly missed out on one at our LBS before Christmas and we’ve been asking when they can get another in. But it seems the price has gone up everywhere from £660 to £725. Crazy! Is this a brexit import tax situation? This is 10% increase. She’s well annoyed

:grimacing:

trek are american though :confused:

and arent they made in Taiwan/china?

yeah I think it’s more about where the stock is coming in from

1 Like

shite either way i guess :frowning:

Always worth a shot at the LBS saying “these were £660 last time I was in… I’ll give you that NOW for one”

Fingers crossed.

Love, a former LBS manager :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, it’s not actually the LBS that gave that price. They’ve just said it’ll take months to order a new one in so we were googling all the other shops and that was the price that came in. LBS doesn’t have a website and I haven’t asked about the price since I found this out. Might be worth asking though

Leisure lakes seem to have updated the actual product page price but not the price that shows in the thumbnail from the site search results!

I’ve been out for a ride every day since NYE except last Monday. The sky’s getting a bit less grey at the moment and I ought to go out now, but am struggling to get myself motivated. Anyone fancy trying to motivate me?

DO IT! I don’t think I’ve ever regretted going out on my bike (except the time I rode to work when it was really icy which was just awful). Pretty much always regret not going out though.

I might go out after lunch. Wednesday and Thursday look super wet so will probably stay indoors then.

3 Likes

€80/mo for my coaching plan tier 1.

I send you a WhatsApp every morning about 8am telling you to get the fuck on with it

7 Likes

There was the time I exploded a tyre and was out without my phone and had to walk 7km back home in cleats, I regretted that.

Also when I properly bonked for the only time ever with 6km of a climb to go and 20km to home, that was awful. Was happy when I got home though.

Need to get some evening zwifting done but cbaaaaaaaaa at the moment

1 Like

Well that worked, cheers both! Bit mizzly out to be fair, but not too bad. Stupidly signed myself up to a Strava challenge yesterday which requires me to do three activities a week, only I didn’t notice they all have to be at least half an hour. So I have conned myself into staying out longer.

When I set my 1000 mile in the year target I assumed I’d do most of it in the summer, so as a result I set myself really low targets for January (50 miles) and February (40 miles). Already at 61, so could build myself quite a nice buffer if the weather doesn’t get too shit.

2 Likes

Did @plasticmike ever get his saddle sorted?

2 Likes

:eyes:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Ugh it’s wet out there. So obviously I went even further than I normally do. Think I might have earned myself a day off tomorrow if the weather’s as shit.

hi

I need a new front derailleur, and tbh, possibly a new back one

my bike is 21 speed? 3 front, 8 back

how do I figure out which derailleurs are the right ones?

I did a bit of a google and it’s confusing

Hello.

So actually how many speeds your bike is is determined by how many sprockets your cassette has. Yours has eight. So you need an eight speed derailleur. Generally I would say you’d swap like for like as long as it’s not really old. Is there some branding on it? Shimano?

Before doing that though, what’s wrong with it? Have you tried removing it and taking it apart and giving it a good clean?

1 Like

Agree with niki, what’s the problem with them. If you’re having difficulty changing and indexing gears then the first thing to look at is the cables (inner and outer). On the rear derailleur you can change jockey wheels if they are worn out. Apologies if you’ve ruled these things out already.

1 Like

OK so I figured that if I’m planning on riding a lot this year I should probably hand over the meagre subscription fee to Strava. Also updated some of my settings for weights and things and now it appears to be estimating my power output. I don’t know anything about power outputs, but I suspect this, from my ride today, is not terribly impressive.

I guess it’s nice to have room to improve :smiley:

1 Like